belly pan drain plug

Discussion in 'General' started by alienator, May 17, 2000.

1. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

What's anyone using for this?

2. WERA

WERA Administrator

Small rubber plugs that can be pulled for water drainage (especially while transporting on an open trailer). Or nothing if you have an enclosed transporter. I've seen people run with and without a drain in the rain and it seemed to make no difference at all.

#545 Keith Palmer

> Small rubber plugs that can be pulled for > water drainage

But will such a "small rubber plug" stay secure and cozy in it's bodywork bunghole? ... Methinks not under the forces of wildly vibrating bodywork, bodywork in the vicinity of the plug making regular and intimate contact with the track, engine heat, etc. not to mention the scenario where oodles (uh - anywhere from 0.7 to 5 qts.) of blazing hot oil are suddenly dumped onto said fiberglass/Al/etc. pan causing the pan (comprising the plug's hole...) to expand more rapidly than the plug resulting in the plug popping free and releasing a torrent of oil!

Perhaps WERA should "just say no" to belly pan bung plugs! Or at least we need to safety wire (or keep well secure by some other fashion) all belly pan bung plugs.

Wee don neeed no steenken plugs! (didn't a turkey baster come with that turkey (belly)pan you all bought - just use it to suck out the track gravy! [​IMG]

4. fastiger

fastiger Well-Known Member

Now this idea doesn't make sense to me. I ran Fri and Sat at the CMP rain festival. As much rain as there was, I only needed to drain my pan during the day once. I could have just mopped it out with a rag.

My problem was all the damn sand. Since a plug is being requested, can I request fiberglassing in a screen in the bottom so the sand will pass right through? [​IMG]

I'll second #545s comment. No plugs or holes in the fluid holding pans. It seems to defeat the logic of having one to begin with.

5. WERA

WERA Administrator

Fine with me - no bungs it is.

I forget where I got the one for the Kawi but it did work and didn't fall out, it was similar to the bungs in pickup truck beds. Of course the duct tape over the hole worked as well until it got wet (yes, I do realize the implications). What can I say, even officials do dumb things to bikes (heck, that's the best way I've learned what to allow and what not to).