1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barber extension

Discussion in 'General' started by motojoe_23, Apr 12, 2013.

1. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

What ever happened with the proposed extension to barber? Anyone know?

I saw a map of it trough a window once. Had a ling straight angling off from the back straight, then progressively smaller sweepers coming back in after the tunnel turn.

2. It hasn't happened. So plan on turning left at the same place.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  3. povol

povol Well-Known Member

Birmingham is run by a bunch of fucking retards. Not the track, the city. They blew any chance Barber had at getting GP when they wouldnt back the deal because of a million dollars they said Barber had reneged on renovating some old ass building downtown. Over 1 million dollars, they threw away an event that would have meant probably 100 times that much to the area.While they were fumbling around scratching their nuts, Laguna made promises to change the track and got the deal. The proposed changes to Barber was to make the back straight longer, and a few minor safety changes and the FIM was ready to sign off on the track. Just last week, the mayor of Birmingham was doing his best to blow up an extension for the Indy car race at Birmingham. Why " because none of the people he was negotiating with " looked like him".

4. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

^^^^^^ Truth.

He did actually say "I've never dealt w/ anyone from Barber that looks like me."

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:wow:

6. ms.madman

ms.madman Well-Known Member

Damn, didn't know about all that. Would be awesome to see Barber suitable for holding a GP.

7. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

8. nochknstrps

nochknstrps Well-Known Member

Birmingham City Council is full of ignorance and stupidity

9. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Anyone else hear the announcers of last weeks Indycar race mention that the entire
    facility of Barber Motorsports Park will be donated to the city and/or state?

WTF would he do that for if they are such a pain to deal with?

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

The economy hit stopped George in his tracks..... I was told the museum expansion will happen before the track expansion... He does want to expand the track to land his planes there I heard... What a rough life....

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because that's part of the deal they got to be able to build the place - the city owns the land.

12. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Sounds like the city council of Birmingham may be kin to the morons running Jackson, Ms.

Sad idiots elect idiots...

13. Me and a couple of buddies visited the museum a few months ago. One of the guys i was with knows alot of the museum personnel and they took us on a tour of the "secret" areas. Some of the bikes that are not on display are pretty damn awesome/rare/cool.

Anyway, they started talking about the additions to the museum and it sounds bad as hell. One day there will be a 2nd museum on the grounds, with a bridge between the two...and a bridge from the paddock to the current museum, wide enough to accept spectators during races.

Apparently they have a lot of plans for improvement on/around the track; but there wasnt any mention of actual track/layout changes.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah the next building of the museum is going to go inside the track across the museum paddock and track from the current museum. Should be starting construction soon.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I watched a couple races from the museum last year. It was cool for the limited view of the track. One of the staff mentioned the upcoming addition. And yes the downstairs part looked awesome. Room full of CNC machines, full fabrication shop, and lots of other cool toys. You got to see that up close? You bastard! :D I tried hiding in a bathroom stall so I can start filming my Youtube epic docudrama Night at Barber Museum. Foiled by security when I unrolled my sleeping bag in the bathroom. :D

16. Yep, got to see the secret stuff up close :D

When we were there, they had a Desmo up on the table doing some prep on it. We also saw the prototype Buell dirtbike that never went into production.

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I went under there during the Rolex Race.... I think he might have more bikes under that entrance area than the museum itself....

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And that doesn't even touch on what's in the warehouse(s)...