1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic Citizenship Question

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by kmfegan, Feb 9, 2010.

?

Should illegal aliens children be granted automatic citizenship when born here?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. No

80 vote(s)
    87.9%
  1. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

Illegal immigrants come here and have their children. Their children are automatically given US citizenship. Should this be the case?

IMO, no because you are rewarding illegal behavior.

What say you all?

2. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

hospitals should have a set of fake delivery room doors, so it looks all legit going back into the delivery room, but really they unknowingly empty into the back of a mobile 'delivery room' u-haul style box truck that delivers the just-as-illegal newborn and parents back to the border from which they came.

surely it would only cost us a fraction of what our current program costs.

3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

If at least one of the parents is not a citizen then no, they should not get citizenship. Illegal + illegal is still illegal. It really shouldnt matter what country she pushed the kid out in.

4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

So far I am the only one that voted yes. I wouldn't be here today if my Mom hadn't been born here. I come from a long line of illegals. What is the rationale about not letting "illegals" become citizens? My wife and I discuss it all the time. She thinks we need to close our borders. I tell her that we may as well dismantle the Statue of Liberty.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

5. Sideshow

Sideshow Free reach around expert.

When you see almost every legal citizen get fired from your company for illegal immigrants maybe you will understand.We are too packed for more people nowadays.

My company went from 100% legal people to now we have maybe 5 legal citizens.Sad to see people lose their jobs to people who will do it for half the price.

I don't hate Illegals either.I am friends with alot of my coworkers who are illegal and understand their plight.They understand my view and I understand theirs.

6. trackjunkieX

trackjunkieX Banned

It doesn't make any difference if they should or shouldn't. The constitution states explicitly they are citizens. So unless you are ready to amend the constitution, it is a moot issue. They have the exact same right to citizenship that you have to gun ownership.

7. slow honda

slow honda Well-Known Member

At one time at least one of your ancestors was an illegal immigrant. Just because you were born here, gives you the right to be judgemental? I don't have a strong view on whether they should be here or not.

8. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

The rationale is that those that follow the laws and go thru all the steps legally shouldnt have their accomplishment cheapened by giving some illegal alien the same benefits and opportunities they worked so hard for so many years for.

I dont have any problems with people doing it the right way, its the American dream afterall.... but illegals are breaking the law, and should be treated as criminals.

9. Sideshow

Not everyone came here illegally .Hate to break the news to you.Some people have to pay big money to become legal while others get it handed to them.

10. slow honda

Ok sorry, the europeans came "legally" by their laws but still stole from the locals. Guess they weren't feeling to happy about their legal rights

11. Sideshow

wow you are really fishing here lol.Don't get your ancestors mixed up with mine lol.Mine weren't here for any of that shit so I can't share your burden :)

12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Actually the constitution says
    "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

Up until recently we interpreted as almost every other country in the world. Now we have the foot in the US rule. The key is jurisdiction, as a non-citizen you are not under our jurisdiction completely. As has been shown when an illegal alien from Mexico comes up for capital punishment and the Mexican consulate gets involved. Certainly open for some debate but I believe that at least one parent needs to be a citizen for automatic citizenship.

For some interesting reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizenship_Clause

13. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

I read this was an add-on, not an original statement “for” the statue. It was a money deal to have it put there.

Several things are in the constitution, which are antiquated, should be revamped.

The born here automatic citizenship is only one thing that is hurting the US.

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Let's go for number 28 then.

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

The Statue of Liberty, a gift from the people of France, had been in place for well over dozen years before the plaque with a fragment of the poem, The New Colossus, was added in 1903.

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Cite, please.

17. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

But does it grant automatic Citizenship to the parents?

If anything, I would be okay with the Status of the child. Illegal parents should be sent back to their Country of Citizenship and apply for Citizenship based on the Child's Status as a Citizen.

You cited the Constitution, I suspect you will want to follow the Law of the Land? Or is the application subjective?

18. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I am not sure if it was a mistake/oversight etc? The fact is that when my parents applied for Naturalization, my brother & I were both under 18 years of age.

My mother spoke little to no English. She failed the verbal examination and was not granted Citizenship at that time. Based on that, my brother & I were not granted Citizenship even though my dad was awarded with the Privileges of US Citizenship.

The interesting thing is that if my Dad and Mom would have been divorced, my brother and I would have been granted Citizenship.

Again, I am not too sure what the exat rule were at the time, just stating the facts as they happened and applied/explained.

19. slow honda

Let me clarify I did not mean to include illegal. This country is a mix of nationalities from across the globe. I have no more right to the freedoms I share than another trying to get the same for them or their families. Sure times are tough, employment rates are at all time highs, but blaming one or a group is really the answer? Maybe I just don't get it. And no I don't think we should throw all kinds of money at them, just like I don't think we need to fund all the welfare programs for legal US citizens. Fact is the system sucks, but it's the best we got and I got better thing to worry about right now. If you want to do something about it, run for office, write letters to your state reprensentatives, until then it's just useless babble on the internet

20. weber#465

weber#465 mud fight

I didn't research its validity.
    You're saying what I read was true?