1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio/video cabinet cooling

Discussion in 'General' started by tito, Mar 1, 2014.

1. tito

tito Well-Known Member

I want to build a tv stand to contain all my audio video stuff. Cable box, receiver, ps3, etc. as the receiver and ps3 get pretty hot and the stand will be enclosed there will be glass doors to access the stuff I am thinking I need some fans to cool them off. But question is where would the best placement be?
    I am thinking two standard computer case fans on the bottom front to pull fresh air in and one larger fan on the back towards the top to pull hot air out?

I will post pics of the design later went I am at home and at my pc

2. 1dwn5up

1dwn5up Well-Known Member

I don't know how you're planning on building it until you post up designs, but you'll have to think of a few things. The fans would have to be quiet enough so it doesn't interfere with your viewing, would you have enough cooling to achieve the effect with just two fans? Also don't forget the whole cold air sinks / heat rises deal so placing the fans correctly would help.

Depending on how you build it, why not try sliding glass doors so at least one is open depending on which device you plan on using.

3. joec

joec brace yourself

just cut vents in the back. maybe some in the floor. dont squeeze the components in with no space between shelves. im sure someone will say you need liquid cooled components with a big radiator for each piece blah blah blah...

btw, im going to steal your design. i stole this one. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I don't like enclosed cabinets but I reluctantly use a Salamander double/ double for the basement set up. I left off the doors and the back and haven't had any issues. I'm not running any higher power amps, just a real basic set up. No fans seem to be needed (I made sure to have plenty of head space).

If I had to do it over again (and I will when the bug kicks in again) I'd do it all differently.

Hmmm, a Rotel seperates set up with an Oppo BD-103 Darbee with B&W 801s wouldn't suck. . . :D

5. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

You can get fans that run pretty quiet, but they have lower airflow, so you might need multiples.

Better/more effecient to use more fans at the top to pull hot air out than to try to push cool air in at the bottom.

6. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Had a custom oak cabinet built last year and recessed into the wall. I have a Onkyo audio receiver, sony bluray, and my cable box. The Onkyo runs hotter than a taiwanese hooker laying next to Dave with a 50 dollar bill. I bought a single fan from Radio shack just to try. Works good.

7. audiokid1

audiokid1 Member

If you do not need constant access to your receiver. Than you may consider placing the components in a different area or room.
    I built a cabinet for all my components and wall mounted it in my basement. It holds my Marantz receiver, Crown Amp for custom sub enclosure, and cable box. I use a RF based IR emitter along with a Universal Remote to control all of the components. My receiver takes care of all the audio/video switching.
    My TV is wall mounted above a fireplace mantle and my PS3 is in one of the built in bookcases that flank the fireplace.

8. hazexban

hazexban Slow Poke

I just built a new back of our cabinet for two big fans that turn on when the receiver does. Will post a picture soon, came out great and works awesome. You cannot hear them on either.

9. tito

tito Well-Known Member

ok so here is the basic design, although I am going to tweak it a bit to suit my needs. Wood working is one of my other hobbies and I am getting into google sketchup which is really fun to play around with.
    there will be plenty of room around the components as I am gogin to give them plenty of room to breathe, I just want to make sure that they are kept cool when running.
    I am looking at some temp controllers to run the fans so they are not always on, just when needed.
    I would like an open design too, but as I have a kid on the way, I want to be able to keep her out.

and as someone stated I have an onkyo and they run hot.

Attached Files:

10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Oppo 105 as a headphone amp:up:

11. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I have a similar setup and just cut the back open more where the access holes are. I haven't had any issues with my amp/receiver in the same side with the door closed.

12. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Welcome to my world:cool:

Attached Files:

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Very cool, I've been eying that little jewel for a while.

14. jimfowler

jimfowler Well-Known Member

you'll want the exhaust vent at the top. for my music equipment (ad/da converter, fancy-schmancy processor) i built a three-fan 3u panel with the following components:

http://www.proaudiostash.com/produc...-panels/fan-panel/3u-rack-fan-panel/366.shtml

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=57&lng=en

piece of cake to assemble and wire. fan panel is at top rear and draws cool fresh air in from the front, across the tops of the equipment cases, and out the back (better to try and pull hot air out rather than push cool air in). my gear was getting prohibitively hot (even with a spare 1u space left on top and bottom of each piece - as per the manufacturer's recommendation) but now everything runs way cooler. the fans are nearly silent and they come with adapters (resistors) that attenuate the fan speed so as to reduce noise should your situation warrant. even at the lowest setting they move plenty of air.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The 105 darbee would rule the earth but is way overboard for my desired setup.

Simple 5.1 that would also do well as a 2 channel. :)