1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attack crossplane ZX-10

Discussion in 'General' started by run1racing, Dec 21, 2012.

1. run1racing

run1racing Well-Known Member

2. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

Sweet. At least next year might be semi interesting.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Cool on the one hand......bummer on the other.

4. run1racing

run1racing Well-Known Member

SBK grid appears to be shrinking but DSB and SS I think will still have good grid numbers.

5. I wonder if that has anything to do with the money in takes to be competitive in those classes vs SBK.

6. JamesC459

JamesC459 Well-Known Member

I would think so.

7. Chip

Chip Registered

I wonder if it has anything to do with big team that require lots of sponsorship folding because AMA pro is not a good marketing endevour at the moment.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Which team is that? :confused:

9. 418

418 Expert #59

Doesn't MotoGP subsidize CRT teams? I'm thinking if a small teams plays their cards right this might be a money making proposition?

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They give money to all the motogp teams. Repsol Honda, Yamaha, monster yamaha. . . all of them.

11. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

Maybe the regular CRT teams - don't think there is anything for wildcards.

12. ...which sort of leads back to my point. As much sponsorship wouldnt be required if it weren't so expensive to be competitive. Which would also mean less "overhead"...which would mean more money coming into/staying in pockets...which would mean more teams would want to/be able to do it...which would mean more exciting racing...which could bring more exposure...which could mean more sponsorship...which could mean....

I know some people want to see the "biggest and baddest" bikes possible. That is all well and good...but not at the expense of smaller grids and less exciting racing.

The AMA SS bikes are the cheapest to build...but yet that class probably provides the best racing and most excitement (kind of a toss up between SS and DSB). Say what you want about SS being a "feeder class" or "glorified club race", but 35-40 similarly built/competitive bikes gridded up together is awesome as shit.

Personally, I would rather see 40 guys on similarly built bikes, with intense battling going on from 1st to 40th...than see a grid of 15-20 bikes of greatly varying builds, which ultimately leads to the field being spread out and people just circulating in their respective positions for half the race.

With the economy the way it is (not to mention increased taxes coming soon) and with less people wanting to invest in AMA, i think they need more restrictive (cost cutting) rules in place in SBK now more than ever. At least until the SBK racing gets more exciting, the grids get bigger and the economy/sport comes back around.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

13. Chip

Chip Registered

I have said this at least a 1000 times.......bikes are not the expensive part in professional racing, people are.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

For an even better example, compare the helicopter shots of a MotoGP race to those of a Moto2 race. Five laps in, the GP bikes are spread all over the track while the Moto2 bikes are still almost nose to tail from 1st to 30th place.

15. Chip

Chip Registered

Full season commitment...

16. Chip

Chip Registered

All the ones that are not there anymore....

17. And i understand and agree with that. BUT...if the bikes weren't so complex, you wouldnt need the advanced software and expensive engineers to run it.

But from what i understand, the electronics packages are being limited in the near future. So that should get a little better.

How about not allowing frame modifications?
    Then you wouldnt need the expensive engineers/designers/welders/inspectors/testers to figure out where frames need to be modified/strengthened, perform the work and then test it.

How about not allowing aftermarket wheels?
    Then people wouldnt be spending $3k-$4k for 1 set of wheels.

Those are just a few items off the top of my head that could potentially save tens of thousands.

I know i am essentially proposing a 1000cc SS class...but i dont think that would be a bad thing. It would bring more competition to the class all the way through the field, and would give more people/teams the ability to participate...which ultimately helps everyone.

18. Yep. I have mentioned that several times too. The Moto2 races are 10x more exciting than MotoGP. I would rather watch WSBK any time rather than MotoGP.

I can't remember the last time i watched a full MotoGP race because it isn't even exciting enough to keep my attention.

19. Chip

Chip Registered

Current AMA SBK is cheap....you could save some $$ with a spec electronics package....but thats it.

Example - Aftermarket wheels - you need 5 Sets per rider realistic total cost - $19000 for the season with two riders.

People - Minimum for two riders -

Team Manager
    Crew Chief (1)
    Crew Chief (2)
    Chassis Mech (1)
    Chassis Mech (2)
    Chassis Mech (1)
    Chassis Mech (2)
    Suspension Tech
    Electronics Tech
    Truck Driver
    Helper (1)
    Helper (2)
    Rider (1)
    Rider (2)

At least (4) of these guys will need to be full time....realistically (6) need to be full time. This is minimum set up to be consistently competitive with a two rider team. Add that up, based on what you know of skilled labor and give me an idea on what you think that would cost for a single 17 event season. (12 Race rounds and 5 tests)

People are bit more expensive than wheels, brakes, and triples....

In fact....the cost layout looks more like this:

1.) People
    2.) Travel
    3.) Expendables - Tires
    4.) Infrastructure - Shop/Truck/Equipment
    5.) Bikes
    6.) Marketing

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  20. *waits for John's "FEE-SE-ME-BO"* :crackup: