1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

atlanta pics

Discussion in 'General' started by t.v., Nov 1, 2007.

1. t.v.

t.v. Well-Known Member

Hey! Who's the oriential chicky with the blonde hair taking pics? Does she have a website? :crackhead:

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

3. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Rugs are Oriental.
    People are Asian.

4. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

thanks

5. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Does anyone here know what it is about the term 'oriental' as used in the initial post that is offensive in American English? I've asked lots of Asian folks adn nobody even came close to explaining it. I even asked an Asian studies prof. this question years ago and his only reply was "well, you wouldn't want to be called 'Occidental' now would you?" Um...it would be odd, but would I be offended? Um...no?

I do know that the 'Orient' originally referred to what is now the Mid-East, but it has clearly come to refer pretty much always to SE Asia (unless you are actually talking about rugs).

The closest thing I could ever figure out would be if people didn't like the fact that the disparate cultures in SE Asia get lumped together when you say 'Oriental' but 'Asian' is even worse in this regard.

Surely somebody can explain it?

(by the way, I always use 'Asian' because I"m not interested in offending people just because I personally don't understand something...I just want to understand it)

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dave, why you gotta do this to me?

7. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

8. (diet)DrThunder

I thought I did a good job at genuinely asking the question...do you think somebody is gonna get mad? That wasn't my intention...

EDIT: Because you won't let me race my SV in SSB!!!

:D

9. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

:p :crackup:

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You did do a great job, of asking a political question in general in a thread about finding a photographer.

11. (diet)DrThunder

hahahaha....I didn't think of it that way, but that is pretty funny.

Seriously...I don't see it as a political question, but I see how it could turn into a "Dungeon' style conversation. Sorry about that.

12. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental

Basically "Orient" started in Europe with the people they were dealing with towards the East in what's now "Middle East" (Turkey, Mongolia, Iran, Iraq). The orginal Orient Express went from Paris to Istanbul! Would you now days call a Turk Oriental?
    When everyone started going the other way around the world the Eastern Asians got lumped into "The Orient". Which technically they're not. Kinda like us still calling Native Americans "Indians".

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  13. (diet)DrThunder

EDIT: I forgot that I'm probably not welcome to continue the conversation :)

Like I said, I'm not trying to argue that it isn't offensive to some people...just trying to understand.

14. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

not very easy to offence me but i just hate being lumped in together with rugs:D

15. musclehead

musclehead Well-Known Member

:D I like asian girls

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

On Oriental rugs.

17. DangerZone

DangerZone CAUTION!

it's better than being wrapped up in one and tossed in a dumpster ;)

18. SonicDuck

SonicDuck Flying Feather Duster

Even more elaboration:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=545754

Basically I don't like it because it was the term used commonly by the backwoods Georgia rednecks that thought my mother "talked funny." I guess somewhere along the line in their limited education and mating with farm animals they decided that the white trash southern accent was actually the Queen's english.

and I'm surprised no one whipped out "It's a yellow thang, you wouldn't understand" yet. :D

19. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

LMFAO....... :up:

20. (diet)DrThunder

Don't you mean 'AZN?' :)

Also, now I understand! I never intended to imply that it was ok to associate an Asian person with the European colonial attitude toward the Ottoman East! Them's fightin' words!

:D

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007