Atlanta Motorsports Park

Discussion in 'General' started by anupe, Aug 29, 2011.

1. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Fair enough. But a yard sale would have built up some extra funds. :D

2. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

AHRMA has an event scheduled April 20-22. Not advertising for AHRMA, but is this a realistic date???
    Saw on the website that HFD1 is the official cycle support shop. Congrats to Huffdaddy!!!
    Hope this place rolls and WERA can get some dates next year.

3. 418

418 Expert #59

Have you seen/looked at the run off room? Some of the turns you go off at, you drop off into what looks like a retention pond. Or they're gonna put a guardrail up, at which point it looks awful close to the track.

I might go by there this week and take some pics if I can get in.

Somebody posted this on another forum...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  4. Eh, I would just be happy with having more opportunities to run Road Atlanta. Not only races, but track days too.......while always using the same configuration. It is by far my favorite track.

5. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

i still find it interesting that one of the stipulations to AMP getting approval to be built was "no racing". Interesting indeed.

6. ToddClark

:up:

7. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

News to me that I would be listed as the cycle shop We did try to strike a deal but...as always did not reach a deal. Would like to strike a deal for the bikes but it was clear bikes were not the going to be a bread winner and they could not say bikes were going to be on the track. It was more of a sale of garage space vs what we could do for a money making deal. They wanted all the space rented before the track is built. A shop next to me has rented space and a deal could still be made when the track is up and they can commit to a motorcycle plan for me. The track use was the deal killer...cars have the track and if a spot is open the bikes could run maybe....

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Given what I've seen and heard from people I trust (one of whom has a world championship to his name among other things) we won't be racing there.

9. Norton#357

Norton#357 Well-Known Member

I rode by AMP yesterday and they have a long way to go before there will be any racing there. There is a completed garage but lots of dirt/mud and gravel, and paving in January and February in north Ga is going to be tough. There is a layer of asphalt on the portion of the track that you can see from the road but I don't think the April race will happen based on what I could see. I would love to have a race track so close to home but it doesn't sound very bike friendly so far.

10. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Kind of sounds as if no one will be racing there soon if ever. Still wonder why AHRMA dropped their Tally date a few years back. I'm sure there are good reasons that I am not privy too.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd guess because they got into Barber.

12. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Partly that, but we actually ran Tally and Barber back to back once or twice and some people loved it. No real reason we don't go to Tally other than trying to be fair about distributing the schedule around the country to the extent possible. There are members all over and they'd all like to have a round close to home. Because of the longer racing season down south, it would be easy and convenient to load up the South with races. But there is a real effort made not to do that. It would be easier to spead the wealth if not for the fact that so many states, for example my home state of KY, don't have even one suitable road course.

13. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Since Atlanta has next to no chance of making the schedule, Tally would be a relatively close replacement.

14. uswjmc22

uswjmc22 Obfusc8

Sean, can you elaborate? I'm guessing we wont be racing there due to safety issues?
    Something else?

15. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

16. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Kevin said it ain't safe.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What's to elaborate? I'm hearing a lot of things between it ever getting done and safety problems - serious lack of runoff - that lead me to believe WERA won't ever race there. That and of course the guy building it agreeing to no race events with the zoning people kind of puts a damper on the idea too but that is here-say for now as I haven't seen the actual zoning agreement.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oddly I know more than just one :D

19. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

20. ToddClark

and it appears AMP is STILL using the weather as an excuse? WTF? You couldnt have asked for much better weather over the last 3 months.