1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Armor bodies

Discussion in 'RidersDiscount.com' started by toolfreek, Feb 23, 2011.

1. toolfreek

toolfreek Member

TJ,
    So I was kind of a turd and forgot to take a ton of pics like I said I would of the armor bodies on the 09 R1. I will give this quick synopsis review before I take some pictures based on where I am now.

Packaging - excellent. Each piece of bodywork was individually wrapped and it would have been near impossible for these to come into direct contact with each other. Shipping was quick too. There was a slight mix up with my address and my neighbors, but they called me and let me know. Told me it would be there monday, and it was.

Condition of pieces - almost perfect. Now, here's where the standard disclaimers apply. I'm by no means a bodywork expert, but from my standards, I was extremely pleased. The primer was complete, with only a slight blemish on the tail (under where the seat will be, and it sanded flat and completely unnoticeable, and a blemish on the underside of the lower, again, it sanded to unnoticeable. I really only found one area where the primer was slightly under-sprayed, and I had to look harder than one probably should for track bodywork to find it. They say it is ready to paint with only a light scuff, I'd agree completely.

Fitment - Good. I would lean towards probably an above average based on what I have read but I didn't want to do that given my hands on inexperience with other brands. Not rating excellent for the following reasons. FWIW, I pretty much drilled in the guide holes and went from there. The lower holes were a little low for the Dzus fasteners. When I slid them on, I had to expand the holes to get the male end in the fastener. The upper holes were spot on. The draft panel for the tail's fitment is a little awkward as well. It seems to fit OK, but it doesn't join up perfectly. Hard to describe, not a biggie though I don't think. Also the upper and lower join together with just a slight, and I mean very slight, bit of overlap. Probably one of those things that no one will notice but me, but it's there, you know. I'll try to get picks of these things so that everyone can see how probably over particular I'm being. Also, In order to use the side stand, I'm going to have to trim the lower, but I'm not holding this against them at all, I understand I'm the minority with the street/track bike and am fine with this.

Concerns: The ram air tubes fit really really lightly on the upper. I'm almost wondering are they loose enough to come off while riding. They say: Kevlar reinforced mounting holes. I say: Kinda. Several of them were not in the right spot, most noticeably where the upper mounts to the fairing stay, two of them on one side were perfect, one on the other side was off by possibly and inch or so. Not even close. Also, one of them drilled completely out while I was trying to drill the hole. Like it was barely epoxied on. The whole Kevlar dot just completely came off. Also, for my bike in particular, if you dont want to drill holes in the stock windscreen, I'd recommend buying another screen (I'll be calling tomorrow :D ). Maybe I'm being too anal about how I want that mounted too. :confused:

Overall, I'd say I'm extremely happy with my purchase, from the actual product to the service and shipping. Another great purchase from you. BTW, some Rider's Discount stickers could be used to cover some of my paint mistakes which I'm sure I'm going to make. ;)

2. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Definitely appreciate you taking the time to do the write up. Let me know when you place the next order and I will get some stickers put in the box.

3. light 3

light 3 the bot

awesome write-up! thanks for sharing.

hey TJ, am i missing something or are you guys selling armour bodies now?

4. Jake21

Jake21 Well-Known Member

wondering the same..

5. Riders Discount

We can definitely get you Armor Bodies.

We will have a review on a set of Pro Lines and a set of Elite in the next few weeks.

If there is anything you need let us know.

6. toolfreek

toolfreek Member

Oh yeah, this is the pro line.

7. light 3

light 3 the bot

how much would a set of armor bodies be for an 04 R6 with stock seat and non stock seat, please?

and are the pro lines or elite a better quality piece?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  8. Riders Discount

The Pro Line will run you $649.99 with a supersport seat and $699.99 for the SBK seat. (Free shipping in the lower 48)

9. toolfreek

toolfreek Member

Elite is more expensive. I think it has kevlar re-envorced leading edges in addition to the mounting holes. Their site says it is 1 to 2 pounds lighter as well. TJ can probably provide more info.

10. Riders Discount

The Elite is a superior product. It has carbon/kevlar edges and uses a more flexible resin.

When we do a review I will see if we can get pictures side by side.

11. boloson

boloson Well-Known Member

Tj,

Do u include the dzus fasteners?

12. Riders Discount

It kit does not come from Armor Bodies with Dzus fasteners however we do have a variety of different options to look at.