1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia RSV4 racers.....

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Nov 2, 2012.

1. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

90% of people will complain about something on a forum, can't remember too many posts about the motors going on them, except for a few that were wrecked, mine lives bouncing off a rev limiter

2. I haven't heard of any real reliability issues with them either. They seem to be great bikes, just expensive.

3. CW AF 03

CW AF 03 Aspiring has-been

My 1098 came with a tip-over switch. Which Ducati's don't?

4. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

The 1199's apparently don't need them, since if you tip it over, it's totaled anyway. :D

5. Damn :crackup:

Well played :D

"Shouldn't we install a tip-over switch?"

"Eh, why bother? If they wreck it, it will be in 26 pieces anyway".

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

A fellow racers 848 didn't have one....and I was under the impression it wasn't removed.

7. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Thats pretty damned funny there....:crackup:

8. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

Yet you are a guy that argues the Triumph 675 is as dependable as the Japanese bikes...:rolleyes:

For what it is worth, I agree with what Ed is saying... Love 'em, but at the cost, they just are not as competitive as the others for less money...

9. slower than u

slower than u Well-Known Member

These bikes sound track is worth the price of admission - lol -
    There a clip on the you tubes of the 2013 with an exhaust - Im still drooling after watching / listening to it

10. Huh? What are you talking about?

And i said the exact same damn thing regarding them not being as competitive as the others for less money. Hell i even said it in the post you quoted.

11. CW AF 03

CW AF 03 Aspiring has-been

Nothing like a $20k yardsale of parts to make a bad even worse!

You were right. Turns out they don't have a tip-over switch.

Looks like I mounted a random relay on the back of the fairing stay...:D

12. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

$80 oil filter?? Chit meng.

14. I assume you meant to say "aren't".

:wow:

Ok, everybody knows that there is a "name tax" added onto all kinds of shit. A steering wheel cover for an Escalade will cost more than the same thing for a Prius.

But $80 for a damn oil filter? WTF?

15. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

damn fingers.. yes "aren't expensive"

Dont get me wrong, i would LOVE to build one myself as a trackday bike, but even with free labor, parts free/at cost i couldn't afford to...but they are VERY cool bikes. It looks kinda like the old RC51 race bikes we used to get from Honda...race glass, no pipes, no street parts, etc.. was great platform to build on, but they were about 1/2 the cost of these RSV4's I think the biggest thing is if Aprilia made the REAL ecu affordable, even $2k total, but alas, if you wanna play you gotta pay..

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I wanna see this damn filter lol.

17. Chip

Chip Registered

Great bike....expensive to race build into anything competitive, expensive to race, and difficult to get OEM parts. Set up info is almost nil as nobody is racing it successfully in any capacity other than in WSBK.

The bike can be made fast and reliable....Pete's bike has over 1500 track miles, makes more than 200hp/100ftlbs to torque, and when we pulled it apart this winter it looked perfect.

I would not race one on SSTK....SBK only....and if I were to build one, I would start with the base model. The only thing substantial is the velocity stacks and they don't make a big difference once the thing is built.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Are you trying to give ckruzel a stroke with that truth? That post could redirect the blood flow from the penis to the forehead veins so brutally that the cardiovascular might not be able to cope.

19. According to AF1, the Forged Aluminum wheels on the Factory model are lighter than most aftermarket F.A. wheels...and they make a big difference in how the bike handles/changes directions. The lighter wheels were one of the main reasons he said to use the Factory as a race platform.

But that is assuming it will be run in SS classes. If you are going to do like you said and race in SB only, then that doesnt matter. Just throw some Magnesium on it.

Getting the best bike with the most goodies, while staying SS legal, is the biggest concern/objective in my 1000cc shopping. That is why im looking at "S", "R", Factory, HP4 etc type machines. And because i want something different/cool. :D

I wouldnt mind doing a SB project Aprilia (or really any 1K). But there are only 3 classes you can race a 1k in. Going SB eliminates one of them. I don't want to do all of that traveling, setup etc to only be able to do 2 Sprints. If there were like 7-8 1000cc Sprints and a SB was still legal in 4 of them, i would be all about going apeshit with a 1k.

20. Gorilla

Gorilla Let me push on that bitch

Don't forget the solos and double headers :D