1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aprilia RSV4 racers.....

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Nov 2, 2012.

1. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

Both of my RSV4s actually.

When did I ever say the dealer told me to carry a spare?

I take my stock ECU to the track with me because I don't want to waste a weekend if it throws so many codes that it will fail to run. 300-mile round trips to a dealer to get it cleared aren't exactly a joy. I've had to wait until I was going to VIR and stop at the shop in Lynchburg on the way.

It feels like a twin but on a dyno the curve looks like an I-4.

2. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I so very much want to race a RSV4. But hard to get parts is a concern of mine. I mean ideally I won't need anything oem specific other than oil filters but of I do. I want to be able to get it

What are the electronic solutions that exist for this bike?

4. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

Not true. FAST west coast guy Brian Parriot races one in AFM and does well on it, top 5 always, top 3 at times. At sears point the "200hp" bikes dont kill him.

Ive done a few, its $$$$$$$ to do one, anyone that says otherwise is kidding themselves. You can build/tune/compete on a zx/gsxr/cbr for about 1/2 the price.

Reliability is NOT great, i know its very hush hush at times, (like the pannigalle's all blowing up, transmission issues, etc) but they do not have the reliability of the big 4 brands.

I'd love one myself personally too..but you HAVE TO have the Factory (as others stated, the stacks, chassis, etc) and its $$ plus the electronics are mega $$ (Kit ecu is what $5k now?)

Very cool bike but really a rich guys trackday toy..not an avg club racers 1000cc choice IMO

5. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

you either have a bad ecu or have other issues if you have to carry spares, its not the norm and your the only one i've heard of having that problem, wasn't one bike a buy back from insurance and the other modified?

6. ckruzel

yeah, ok :rolleyes:

7. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

well i know of ONE fast guy in west coast racing one, Brian and he has had a "few" engine issues... but no one talks about it.

When i was at Imola WSBK talking with one of the MAIN guys on the team (we have mutual friend) he said off record "For sure, we have great power but very short life, they are about 1/3 life of the inlines"

Its OK dont get your expensive Italian leather thong all in a bunch man, like i said, i think they are bad ass and i would LOVE to have one. but fact is they are NOT as reliable nor as affordable to build, tune, race and repair as a GSXR/ZX/CBR/etc...

8. Same thing i was saying.

Chris, we arent saying the APE's are incapable of going fast and/or winning. They have proven to be capable machines. We are simply saying that you (read: anybody) can go just as fast, for $10k less, and with less headache, by going with a Jap bike.

They are kickass bikes and i plan on getting one soon. But to say they are just as reliable, just as cheap, and are as easily/readily supported as the common Jap bikes is simply unrealistic. :)

9. ckruzel

the reliability comment is way off the mark, pretty much 95% of the owners of those bikes are over on af1's forum and pretty much the only engine failures are bikes that ran on there side after a crash on the track, and yeah i know people at aprilia also

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

What I want to know is why don't they have tip over switches? Ducati's don't either...and I don't understand that.

11. Agreed. I have spent a lot of time reading the AF1 forum and from everything I have read, reliability is not a concern. :beer:

12. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

They do have them, they just don't work properly 100% of the time apparently.

13. ckruzel

14. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

:eek: Wholly Crap!

Attached Files:

15. benprobst

benprobst Well-Known Member

Kruzel, did you miss the title of this thread?

16. Yeah i saw that.

I reckon it isnt a bad deal, for the type of program they hope will take advantage of it (a team with sponsors).

For the individual, i see the costs getting out of control really quick. The base price is decent for what you are getting, then throw in the 3% conversion fee, the 7% dealer fee, the $300 customs fee, the $1200 shipping fee, the $800 key needed to make any software changes so on and so forth.

...and you still don't have a rear shock, bodywork, nor race exhaust (which is almost $3,000 by itself). Then you have to consider the common stuff like sprockets, rearsets, etc.

While it initially reads to be a good deal because you aren't paying for the OEM bodywork...you will still end up with over $30k in it by the time it rolls out on track...and that is for the bike with the stock motor. Add a SS build into the mix and you are $35k into it.

By the time you get the level 3 bike on the grid, you are about $60k+ in it.

17. ckruzel

looks like its geared toward a race team, to make a competative bike in ama superbike is going to cost money, and yes i saw the thread its a couple different packages offered

18. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I love them like Hell however after going through my SXV BS I couldnt fathom multiplying it by 2...

19. ckruzel

its nothing like a sxv

20. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I know 2 people that have had them go Kablam.... Then only to wait for that Piago Italian Holiday 5 Month Part delay crap that I went through...

Sounds familiar to me....'
    '

Hell I'm Italian and want one however I went back to Japan and will be staying in Japan...