1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone towing with an Ecoboost? 9k lbs or so....

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Squid, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

Any "real world" experience with an Ecoboost towing 9k+ lbs?

I'm asking for my parents. They currently have a 2011 Chev Duramax 3500 4dr with 6900 miles that has given them nothing but fits, it's at the dealer more than it is at home and on a good day it gets 11mpg unloaded. Dad's not been happy with it since week 1, and I think this week was the last straw.

They have a 9500 lb pull behind (fully loaded) and are looking at 2 vehicles. A 03 suburban 2500 with 98k on it, 8.1l or a brand new ecoboost. Both have their plus', such as if they went with the suburban they'd have cash in their pockets when it goes down, and no payments to look forward to. An Ecoboost they would know the vehicles history since day 1, and have a nice warranty, which they sure as hell have used with their new Chevy! The ecoboost would get better mpg when they get to their destination and are out exploring. I think the 2500 suburban would get 11-13 unloaded driving around, so that's a big + for the ecoboost

They don't go camping a lot, but when they do don't need a truck that's straining to get there. I think Dad's kinda burned out with a diesel anyway. I know the ecoboost has an 11,300lb tow rating, just looking for anyone that tows close to that......

TIA

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

friend of mine has a 2011 we tow maybe 6k gross (3 bikes, gear, fuel, and a 6x12 flat front) Its a pig on gas. Maybe 11mpg tops while towing that load. I think Fords claims of fuel efficiency are grossly exaggerated in real world conditons(65mph). I cant remember where I saw the claimed MPG but the best efficiency was at ~40mph. (who has the patience to drive that slow on a highway?)
    It does make an assload of torque from idle on up which is a plus if youre mowing hills or traffic lights.
    FWIW my 2008 F150 5.4 gets ~525miles to a tank(26 gal) @ 75mph unloaded.