1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone in the giving mood?

Discussion in 'General' started by TakeItApart, Nov 17, 2017.

1. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

In Lancaster PA there’s this great little bicycle shop that hosts community building earn-a-bike programs where neighborhood kids are required to learn about bicycles, maintaining them, and the safety aspects of riding.
    They participate in a multiple week, evening program to earn their bicycles. There are also adult programs and women only programs.
    The shop is community based and relies heavily on donations to do what they do.
    Every year, Lancaster PA has a donation event called The Extraordinary Give. This is an event where many charitable organizations get together and raise money, through donations to support Lancaster PA’s less fortunate.

If anyone feels so inclined, you can donate at: https://extragive.org//designee/the-common-wheel

Or through the shops page at: http://thecommonwheel.com/

You can also research this event and this organization through those sites.

Thanks for your time!

I am not affiliated with the shop other than having made donations myself.
    Once for a killer ride they hosted, and again, through The Extraordinary Give. I have met some of the people who make this place work and they are wonderful, giving people who volunteer their time for these programs.

2. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Many communities have the same (or very similar) organizations.
    Good stuff.
    +100

Oceanside CA has a bicycle safety course “Bicycling 101” designed for the young, and the young at heart.
    It is staffed by mostly volunteers, with the organizational oversight by a city employee. This is one example progressive of a community action, that passionate people cause to deliver very good things, at a very low cost.

TakeItApart likes this.
  3. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I wanted to give an update. The 24 hour donation event raised 8.6 Million dollars (a new record!) with 51,619 total gifts, for all of the non-profit organizations!

The Common Wheel community bicycle shop was gifted a total of $23,513.00 with 328 total gifts!

A huge THANK YOU to anyone who donated!