1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

You are up $6K. Go post in the investments thread. LOL.

Phl218 likes this.
  2. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

What's the best course of action to have the watch gone over. Should I have it polished etc. or just leave it as is?
    I see an authorized Rolex service store at UTC mall but it's a Ben Bridge store.

You are up $6K. Go post in the investments thread. LOL

:crackup:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  3. Jedb

My opinion, and others may have other opinions.
    1) Send it to Rolex Service Center and tell them the internals of the watch need to be serviced. You can do this through Ben Bridge. (Growing up in University City, I spent a lot of time at UTC).
    2) IMO - tell them that you do NOT want the case, nor the bracelet polished in any way (some collectors value the authentic wear of a watch, and polishing can hide flaws)

@sdiver suggested Rolliworks, but I have no experience with them.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  4. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

The concern with telling RSC what to do or not to do is they often ignore the request. If something is not up to Rolex standard it usually gets done regardless. Lots of RSC regrets on TRF for this reason.

A few have reported success with specific requests so YMMV.

L8RSK8R and Philip Mirgliotta like this.
  5. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

That’s why I would take it to an authorized service center rather than sending it to Rolex. They will usually do what you ask them to do. Is there anything wrong with it? I’d get it on a timegrapher and see if it actually needs anything. After that long, it probably needs service but not necessarily.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, Rolex seems to like to do what they think is best, not necessarily what the vintage customer wants. Granted I can't imagine shipping mine anyway. Even worse now that I looked at some pricing over the weekend.

7. L8RSK8R

Since it's sat in it's box for 19 years/unworn I'm sure it would need some servicing.
    I did give it a wind and it works.
    I had it set at Two Minutes To Midnight....I'm a dork.

Jedb likes this.
  8. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I don't think that watch will really suffer if it gets a light polish. Its not exceedingly rare or something that is in super high demand in vintage circles. If it were mine I'd have it serviced and a polish done.

HOWEVER - that could be a different case in 20 years where its more vintage, higher demand ect. It comes down to your wants and needs. If you want it looking nice and more like new go for it. If your going to keep it hidden away for decades hoping it will be worth huge $$ then keep it as is.

Honestly that watch isn't beat up so if you get it polished I'd doubt anyone would be able to tell it was done 20 years from now. Not like they are buffing out deep scratches and dings that will change the profile of the case.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  9. L8RSK8R

Just off the phone with Ben Bridge and they estimated $900 service fee and 12 week turn around. They'd send it to Rolex for the service.

I'd prefer to leave it unpolished.

10. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

If you don't want it polished or resurfaced, Grab some Cape Cod Polishing Cloth and give her a buff, that stuff is amazing and very gentle. It'll look 1000% better.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  11. Jedb

Check with the guy I sent you the contact information on. About 1/3 that cost.

12. L8RSK8R

:timeforabeer:
    Will do

13. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I'm firmly in the leave the exterior alone. Might be the vintage rolexes I've seen but the fluted bezel doesn't look that great or sharp after they touch it up.

14. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Latest acquisition.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Spooner, worthless, sdiver and 6 others like this.
  15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

The AD had one. Now, they have none. :)[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

sdiver, RichB, j cal and 1 other person like this.
  16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

In lieu of a discount, I was able to secure a *free* Wolf Watch Winder (Cub Single).
    First impression, very quiet.
    I have not made up my mind on its use.

I am going to make an effort to rotate my watches (on my wrist) going forth and may include the Wolf in the process.
    But I may limit the time I leave a watch on the winder.

I will report on noise after a month or so of use.

17. SteveThompson

I got one of those on the leather strap when it came out. I suspect I have worn it more than any other watch in my rotation since. It's a great watch and a great value.

As I teaser, I've been working on a Tudor. It's a 1930's watch that needed some work. I'm getting pretty close to being done. At least it is running now. Here's a few pictures of it in progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I just rotated into the Tudor this morning, coming off the Ball.
    The weight difference is huge. I am going to smack someone, unintentionally.

That is a neat hobby/skill.

I should start playing around a bit.
    I thought about doing some customization off Seiko productions.

19. SteveThompson

I started by doing some customization's on Seiko 007's. Then went on from there to do some online classes. I need to take some pictures of my little watch shop I've built in a spare bedroom. It's pretty cool.

Hawk518 and Jedb like this.
  20. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

They are only original once. Just like an old motorcycle with a good patina.

Hawk518, RichB and Boman Forklift like this.