1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'd argue that the GMT master ii is the best watch that rolex has ever done. metal bezel and I prefer the pan am. :)

2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Anyone have a recommendation for a nice tank-styled watch that is not Cartier?

3. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

The Reverso (Jaeger) is the only thing that comes to mind.

Last night, I watched Runner Runner and could not figure out what Justin Timberlake was sporting?

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why not the cartier? Nothing wrong with their some of their watches. In fact, the Santos is a classics.

What about an IWC Da Vinci auto? Jargar LeCoultre reverso?

What kind of cash you talking?

5. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

What is a "Jargar?":D

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That's a great looking watch. Either a 16750 or 16700 I believe.

It's kind of funny, Mine is a 2008 16710 that was never worn when I got it this year. It's in perfect mint condition, yet I'm jealous of yours. That thing is beautiful. I even like the faded bezel. I'm turning into that guy...

7. Jedb

Not sure on the cash side. Maybe $750 to $1,000

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Then you can forget the IWC and Jaeger. :D

I was thinking maybe a Tag Golf but I think that's ~ $2K full retail.

9. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Went to the tag outlet in Orlando to possibly get a discounted aquaracer auto. The employess were total asshats and had no watch knowledge. I had a guy leave me mid sentence to go wait on a well dressed idian guy who walked in.

10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Most authorized dealers I have been to didn't know shit except how to work a cash register. Couldn't even change an effin' battery. Complete waste of time.

11. cha0s#242

Thinking of selling my Jacques LeMans Tornado Timer G217A. It's a little too big for my wrist at 43mm. It's in great shape, almost no scratches. Beautiful rich leather strap, very elegant. 100% Swiss made with quartz movement. I paid 600 Euros in 2010. Looking for USD 200$ obo, shipping included in continental North-America. I can have additionnal pictures on request. Contact me by PM if interested. I'd even consider a trade.

[​IMG]

http://www.cdiscount.com/bijouterie...g-217a-bracelet/f-12604-jac3661919914115.html

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  12. caferace

caferace No.

I normally LOVE the TT watches but IMHO this years is fugly.

[​IMG]

-jim

13. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Okay, stuck on a decision. I have a 2001 Tag Link Chrono (quartz) CT1110 with a blue face where a pusher button has fell/broken off for the 3rd time. The first two times I had a local watchmaker repair it for ~$200 and then $100 but obviously that wasn't working. The watch retailed at $2300 ~15 years ago and is ~$1200 on ebay / used market. Dad gave it to me for masters graduation so there is some sentimental value. Sent it in to Tag for a repair estimate and also asked to replace the crystal since there was a scratch I don't like.

They estimatd to replace the movement itself, the pusher, the crystal, service, and then clean and polish the case and bracelet. $1154. Uggg, there's a lot of watches I would get on Jomashop for ~$1200, but I don't really want to wear a broken ass watch around so should I buck up and get the thing in an as new condition and have a sentimental case and bracelet, or get it back and send it to a different watch repair place and probably get out for half the cost? I sort of liked the idea of a factory refurbishment, but jeez, watch maintenance will get you.

14. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I'd take my $1200 shopping.

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

:stupid:

I don't want to come off as a tag hater, but this is the problem with them. The quality isn't there, especially for a $2000 quartz watch.

I'd keep it since it means something to you, but you can get a lot of watch for $1200. You can always fix it someday, and you'll have something nice to wear in the meantime.

16. cha0s#242

Plus they use the same movement you would find in a Seiko worth 10X less. Seiko make an awesome movement, don't get me wrong.

17. caferace

caferace No.

I don't think anyone pays retail for a Tag. I know I didn't.

-jim

18. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I could buy the movement for 140 on its own if that's what needs repairing and I'm sure someone could repair it cheaper. I'd prefer an auto but it is what it is and I would like it repaired now. There's a lot of stuff I like on it but 600-700 would be much more palatable. I could skip the crystal (they would charge 300) and maybe even the cleaning and polishing for 200, but I was sort of hoping someone would say, send it to X, get the same result and save 600. I'm going to fix it, judge all you want. :crackhead: If they will give me the original parts back, maybe I can buy other bits and build a duplicate watch sort of cheap. I was looking at getting the watchmakers kit and the online training classes some day... Okay even bigger :crackhead: Right?

19. Jedb

Here's a link to the pushers ($139)
    LINK

I looked at 4 places and was unable to find a link to the crystal. Sorry about that.

Is there an independent watch person that would be able to fix it? If not, shoot me a note and I'll ask on the F6 section of watchuseek.com (watchmaker section).

20. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member

It is a 16700. I have the same watch, but had the bezel swapped to black.

Luckily it was when they let you keep the original one so I still have the Pepsi bezel.