1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any suggestions on 1911's?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Cawk Star, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

I'm going to buy a new 1911 and would like to buy an American made 1911. I like the idea of the Colt for nostalgia. Any suggestions on other brands? I'm looking at Kimber's, Wilson Combat and everything else for shit and giggles. I would like a nice American made - mid to high level quality.

Sig makes their guns 9 miles from my house but they're out because not owned by USA company. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

$ - Springfield GI, Ruger
    $$ - STI, Springfield, Colt
    $$$ - Dan Wesson, Les Bauer, Ed Brown (Paybe put the Springfield TRP in between here)
    $$$$ - Wilson, Nighthawk, Springfield Pro

All just IMHO though. I have a Springfield Range Officer with a few upgrades that is a great pistol for the money, but I'm sure several will chime in with their personal favorites as well.

3. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

I have some friends who have Kimbers and they love them.

4. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

I like Ruger or S&W... nothing against the others, but I have always gotten good performance from those guns.

5. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Smith and Wesson.

I don't have one, but it seems to meet your criteria, and you always (for now) have that big company behind it.

6. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

I really like the Wilson Combat 1911s....expensive, but really nice quality!

7. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Whichever one is still in stock at your local shop.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Whichever you buy, get it last week.

9. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I have a Springfield. One up from the GI. It's okay. Jams every now and then.

10. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

I love my Ruger SR1911! Made in the US and it won't break your bank account like lot of the others. That's if you can find one.

[​IMG]

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That's a classy lookin' gun.
    I'm jealous.

12. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Uh, shouldn't this thread be in "General"?

13. Steverin06

Steverin06 Well-Known Member

Grand Raptor II

14. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Springfield Range Officer

15. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

16. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

What are you buying/using the gun for?
    What size 1911 are you most fond of?
    Classic, basic carry, or all the bells and whistles?
    Budget?

17. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

I would really like to spend no more than $1500. I would not be carrying and I like the 4" & 5" barrels. It would be cool to have one made in this state (NH).

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

For $1500, you should be able to find a good off-the-rack piece, send it to a smith for a massage and add a red-dot optic.
    That's a lot of play for the money.
    Just Google New Hampshire gunsmiths. They can steer you into the right platform for you.

Research the many mods possible cuz for $1500, you can't do 'em all.
    A lot of stuff thrown at 1911s is BS, like an extended slide stop or beavertail. I've never felt, "Gee, if only this lever was longer and stuck out more" or "Damn hammer keeps pinching my thumb web".
    At the least, you want the dynamic parts(trigger/hammer/slide) to function smoothly and for it to feed ammo without a hiccup.
    Sights are subjective. Are they for carry, night, target, etc.?
    A red-dot is simple stupid but don't buy a cheap one.
    Magazines are the number one cause of problems. Don't cheap out there, either.

19. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I did a thread on this a month or two ago in general.

I ended up buying a Ruger SR1911 to save some money. I freakin' LOVE the thing. Best shooting pistol I've ever owned. In three weekends, I've pumped over 500 through it from good defensive rounds to that garbage Tula stuff... No problems. Plus it's smooth a stoopid accurate and damn good looking.

I give it five out of five stars.

20. mpolans

mpolans Well-Known Member

How married are you to "American Made?" Unless things have changed, Springfield's frames and slides were made in South America (IIRC, Brazil) and assembled in the U.S. Some of STIs singlestack 1911s were made in the Philippines and assembled in the U.S. If you're not hung up on that, I think one of the best deals for the money is the STI Spartan, which sells for about $600-630 on gunbroker.com. Frame, slide, and barrel fit are all great. Has most of the bells and whistles I like (beavertail grip safety, fiber optic front sight, adjustable rear sight). Even the beavertail grip safety is fit pretty good, without the unsightly gaps I've seen on some Colts.
    I think paying over $2k for an off the rack 1911 like a Wilson, Nighthawk, etc, is insane. At that price point, you're just paying a whole lot extra for a name. You might as well talk to a good gunsmith and have him custom build one to your specs from the ground up.