1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any drummers here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Apr 5, 2015.

1. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

On a related note.
    How do you stop a drummer from banging on your door ?

2. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

I've played on and off for about 30 yrs. Mostly hard rock and metal. But other styles too. Rudiments suck!! Learn them anyways!! Learn to lead with either hand (I never really did and it shows at times).

Buddy Rich is a BAMF. If you don't know who he is don't even pick up a pair of sticks!!! LOL :beer:

3. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Metronome app on your cell, quality pad, and the right size sticks. 7A's will do you no good. You can work the set coordination while developing your hands. My drum lessons are spilt 50/50 between hands and full kit. If a kid wants only set without the hands, he can find another teacher.
    In fact none of this will matter if you don't get a real pro instructor. To play well is difficult and cannot be self taught. to just hack around anyone can do.

Buddy was def one of the first greats and Louie Belson from the same era. Steve Gadd was the guy in the mid 70s -80s, and the last decade or two Dave Weckl has been the man. There are so many exceptional players that it is impossible to name a 'best.'
    I had the good fortune of working every night with Don Lamond playing shows. He is of Woody Herman's Third Herd fame. Another all time great that I owe much of my jazz chops to. I was the percussion dude on the shows ( vibes, timps, congas, etc...)

4. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Right on hi-hat is standard. 98% of the time. Crossing over? Huh? Right hand ride and hihat, left snare is the standard. Of course having ambidextrous skills are advantageous, but not essential to standard 'time.' There are rare times when I ride on the hat and the ride, but these are rare and usually a well developed L foot can provide what you need.
    Planned sticking, dbl R or dbl L, eliminates most crossover fill opportunities.

5. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

My personal favorite drummer is Akira Jimbo

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Everybody knows Neil Peart is the best:rock:

7. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Keith Moon is my favorite, followed closely by Stewart Copeland.

8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

:stupid:

9. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

No Shit!!:up::up:Copeland has always been the 2nd favourite of mine,and every time i have ever mentioned his name I always get a blank stare back at me.Personally,Bonham is my favourite tied with Chuck Biscuits then its Copeland.

10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

You said it, bro.

No kidding, I think Peart was great, but his style and performance is beat by today's young drummers like Danny Walker (Intronaut) or Navene Koperweis (ex Animals as Leaders) and others, but he sure paved the way to some awesome progressive musicians.

I like Copeland, but always thought he didn't know when to take it easy. If he ever writes his biography, he should name it "Drum & Coke" lol

11. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

sorry but akira jimbo shits on all these dudes