1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any car dealer owners or managers on here?

Discussion in 'General' started by cincigp, Nov 3, 2014.

1. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

I am looking for some insider advice on how to deal with some damage that occurred while a car was in for service.

2. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Not cars but high-end bikes. Maybe I can help?

3. cincigp

I guess it come down to this: If a customer brought a vehicle in for service and when they picked it up pointed out a 3" gouge in the paint that is down to the metal, would the burden of proof be on them to prove it wasn't there when they dropped it off, or would it be on the shop to prove that it was?

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Every time I take my cars in, they always do a pretty thorough walk around.

I watched a guy scream and yell and threaten lawyers because his S5 had a grove in the door "that wasn't there when he brought it in." Eventually they brought out the walk around report (with a photo of the grove) and the other customers started laughing at him.

5. Robby-Bobby

That really sucks man:/

In my shop, our service writer has a walk around sheet similar to rental cars that the customer must sigh. Then while working on it, if the mechanic sees anything else, they are stopped and pics are taken etc...

If
    There is damage after the fact like scratches or wheels, or whatever, it's on the mechanic.

I, as a shop foreman/mechanic look over the bikes carefully before working on them because I've had customers lie.

One was a Multistrada that was clearly dropped then repaired and he tried to blame me. I know paint and body and could immediately prove that he had tried to touch it up unsuccessfully.

In your case, I'd say suck it up and fix it if your shops reputation is important.

Cause that guy is either gonna tell people that y'all fucked his car then wouldn't take care of it or he's gonna say "y'all went the extra mile to make it right"

6. 418

418 Expert #59

Nowhere near enough info. How often have you done business there? Did you buy the car there? Where you a dick about it? Did you talk to the service manager or service writer? What service did it come in for?

Long story short, it's their decision. If you're deemed a worthwhile customer they'll probably take care of it. If you bought the car there that is a big plus in your favor for many reasons.

And yes, all shops I've worked at have a walk around sheet.

7. Robby-Bobby

Are you the owner or the shop?

What kinda car? We talkin ferrarri or Hyundai?

8. cincigp

Yeah, that is pretty much what I told my wife. The only way to prove anything is for them to have documentation that it wasn't there. Lucky for me, the last thing I did before taking it in was wash it by hand, so I KNOW it wasn't there. Unlucky for them the lawyer we would call is my wife's brother and is a partner in his firm. We will see what the dealer says tomorrow.

9. cincigp

Nope, not the owner. Was a Jeep getting tires at an infinity dealer (Tire Rack approved installer).

10. cincigp

I was hoping to do it through PM, so that is why I left out the details. I have been there twice. We only talked to service writers so far since we just picked it up at 5:30. We paid, walked outside, and walked straight back in. The only reason I went back was I was treated very well when I took my MB there for service. Apparently their attitude is different when it is a lowly Jeep, or when my wife is the one dealing with them.

11. Robby-Bobby

Well if it's y'all's car, and they didn't do a walk around, they are dumb. Especially an infinity dealer....

I'm sure Kia and shit cars don't do them, but high end places should!

I'd say you're ok.

12. 418

418 Expert #59

Yup, they'd be stupid to dick you around. Make sure they know you've been in there before.

13. cincigp

Cool, thanks for the response. I will ask for a copy of the walkaround and go from there.

14. cincigp

They have to know. My wife made the appointment and filled out all of the drop off paperwork and somehow all of the official paperwork has my name on it.

(Edited to finish my sentence)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  15. cincigp

Ok, so another question. Assuming they agree to fix it, do we have to let their bodyshop fix it, or can we take it to the one we trust. Depending on how this goes down, I may not trust them any more.

16. 418

418 Expert #59

They're not gonna pay to have somebody else fix their screw up. Keep in mind it's more than likely going to be a mobile touch up guy that does this for all the dealerships in the area. Body shop is for major collision repair, not scratches. So more than likely whoever you take it to, it's probably going to be the same mobile repair guy fixing it. He'll charge them a nominal amount and they'll make sure to send him more used car business. At least that's the way I've seen it done.

17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

If I screw someone's shit up accidentally, I'm fixing it. I'm already in the hole at that point, I'm not giving myself up totally to someone I don't know.

18. cincigp

I have some body experience, and I don't know how a mobile guy will fix this one adequately. The tailgate has been repainted before, so it went through paint, primer, paint, primer, and hit metal, and it isn't a clean scratch. It is a gouge where the paint is starting to flake off.

19. cincigp

That's what I am expecting. If the lawyers don't get involved.

Got your VM by the way. No prob. Didn't like the quotes I got or the contractors I talked to for that matter. I am probably going to break down and do it myself(ish)

20. 418

418 Expert #59

I've seen those mobile guys do some amazing shit. I'd just make sure your expectations are known. If the car is clean and well kept, you wanting the repair to be near perfect is not being unreasonable. Now if this is a 1988 Cherokee with doors chopped off and some 44's mud Xtreme's, they're rightly probably gonna tell you to go f@ck yourself. :)