Any appliance experts here?

Discussion in 'General' started by Rich, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

My wife left the freezer open on Wednesday....came home from a 12 and found water on the floor.

Cleaned it up, threw away a recent Costco trip, and thought all was good.

Realized Thursday night and confirmed Friday morning that neither the freezer nor the fridge were cooling.

Google says this is relatively common and that one needs to let the coils thaw out.

Unplugged it and let it sit for about 20 hours.

Plugged it back in for 24. Not getting cold.

Have a repairman scheduled to show up tomorrow who thinks it is the relay.

I didn't want to pay $300 for a relay replacement, so I ordered one from the local parts house.

However Appliance Forums tells me that it isn't the relay as the compressor is kicking on. I also pulled it off and shook it......it isn't rattling.

Any ideas?

(appliance forum link for reference)

https://www.applianceblog.com/mainf...idge-freezer-arent-working.73763/#post-371721

2. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

If the compressor is turning on but the frig is not getting cold it is likely a reed failure in the compressor. I had it happen on a GE frig, I ended up junking it as the replacement compressor cost more than the frig was worth.

3. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Did it start the same way? Left it open?

4. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

It started cooling intermittently then eventually died
    I wired the compressor direct to ac to skip the controller to isolate it. I believe my compressor was made by Embraco. The failure was fairly common as residential refrigerators are built cheap with as much cost take out as can be had.

5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

It is common for them to freeze up if the compressor is forced to run due to an open door. Unplug it and open it up for roughly 24 hours and be prepared to see a lot of water across the floor.

Edit...nevermind, I see you did that already.

6. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Ironically no water on the floor either....