1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another one bites the dust!...........

Discussion in 'General' started by vito2279, Apr 7, 2011.

1. sk8rat

sk8rat Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this,something will work out soon :up:

2. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

damn vic that does suck as i was out for 6months before i found something else (granted i was really picky) next time when your male boss wants to give you a reach-a-round just go a head and close youre eyes:D

3. Aaron71

Aaron71 BEEMER

DAYUM Vic.....sorry to hear that Bro! :mad:

I might be in the same boat on Monday when the Federal Gov't
    shuts down....WTF is up with the U.S.!!:down:

4. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

Hard to believe they would not offer you another position, retraining, etc. Have you looked at any of Hyundai's local suppliers. I know Mobis has huge expansion going on right now trying to keep up with the demand at Hyundai. The size of that building has to entail new hires.

5. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

The strangeness of very large corporations... They are laying people off at the same time!

Might be the situation at Hyundai too... "Money from different buckets" and other corporate-speak.

6. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

Thanks again guys! I'm TRYING to stay positive. I guess this is the hardest part about being unemployed. I'm praying that something comes through soon because the LAST thing that I wanna have to do is sell my bike. It would KILL me if I have to do that.... :-(

7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Getting fired was the best thing that happened to me in years, I just didn't realize it at the time. Hang in there, you never know what tomorrow will bring.

8. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

that sucks, keep your chin up, something will turn up for you, maybe even something totally different than the car world

when i first started working for a dealer, cars were so cool to look at and to drive, all the latest models, new models coming out, then they just became cars

9. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

VW and Kia have or are setting up new plants in TN and GA... worht a shot I guess

10. What blows is that Hyundai is on the local front page with the headline "Hyundai plant sets record for output" They made the most vehicles in any month in the plant's history 31.730 Sonatas and Elantras. They'll build 300,500 for he year and are operating 20 hrs/day and are talking of an expansion of the plant here...and they're laying of upper/middle management people! vic ain't the only one. I don't get it...Must be all that Hong Kong Dong biz model.

11. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Not to take this O/T but just curious how are those 4dr Genesis models, I suppose if anyone would know it's you???

Good luck with your search!

12. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Sorry dude. I was there (without the unemployment) It sucked.
    I have raced on unemployment cash in the past however.

13. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Hey Vic! YOU have the RIGHT ATTITUDE. I got laid off before my current job (wow, 9.5 years ago)--right in the height of the dotcom-crash post-911 employment mega clusterf$@k. It took over 6 months to find something comparable, but I was very lucky to have not gotten just a "job" and the stars aligned the RIGHT career choice.

Then, like now, it was a total buyer's market for for jobs. Since then, with my job, I've interviewed hundreds of people (and I'm not in hiring--we just take preserving the team atmosphere VERY seriously). Here are some things that I have found extremely helpful:

1. START A PROJECT NOW. When I was laid off, I took to woodworking on my back porch between interviews/job hunting. I became nearly OBSESSED with woodworking. I researched stains, varnishes, finishes, techniques, etc. I would wake up EXCITED to go fart around with the wood most of the day. While not directly related to anything I do, there were numerous benefits to this... There was an excitement that was palpable in my voice, I was not down. If an interview went badly, I'd just think about how I was going to dado a joint, and I was cool. I even had an interview where someone asked "What have you been doing while out-of-work?" when the dev-manager LAUGHED and openly ridiculed me for stating "I've been working with wood." -- I ended the interview early, even if they'd hired me, that guy was a jerk plain and simple, and I probably wouldn't do well working for him. The company was out-of-business within the year. With my current job, I was asked "Why?" to which I crafted an answer that software was creative but too abstract, I wanted see firsthand how that same creativity could be applied to something in the physical world. That answer was well received. Having this project going enabled me to hit each day with fresh set of goals, and helped make each new interview it's own experience, rather than me toting a bunch of baggage in from the last one.

2. Get Knock 'Em Dead by Martin Yate and treat it like the holy grail of job books. I SWEAR by this guy's work. www.martinyate.com

3. Get out of the house, volunteer, keep in touch with everyone (which you're doing). You're in a patch, but that's the hand fate dealt you this time out. Your situation doesn't define you, and things are just in a transition. Above all else, don't fall into the depression/isolation/self-pity trap. Like a drug it's comforting, but it's gonna hurt you in the long run. Just trust (can't remember where I read this) "that the universe is unfolding exactly as it should".

4. GOYAKOD -- old newspaper reporter's acronym. Stands for Get Off Your Ass and Knock On Doors.

Oddly enough, looking back there's soft place in my heart for the time I was laid off. I started out intentionally doing things to keep myself from dwelling on the circumstance, but ended up just really LIVING every day. Done right, a transition like this can be a great experience.

Good luck man, you've got a lot of positive energy pulling for you!

14. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

I've been out 18 months now - no one is hiring people my age .... :mad:

BUT: just PAID OFF THE HOUSE, and just got the next 20 week extension on unemployment - so if there is a bright spot in my sad and dismal life...... :p

Keep your chin up, and DON'T sell your bikes!!! :tut:

Good luck, I feel your pain.... ;)