1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another cycling thread: which bike to get?

Discussion in 'General' started by light 3, Jun 6, 2013.

1. light 3

light 3 the bot

so, i'm trying to choose between the cannondale supersix evo with sram red (which cannondale have a 20% off sale until the 15th)

http://www.cannondale.com/2013/bike...six-evo/super-six-sm-evo-red-compact-crankset

or the giant tcr advanced sl with sram red as well.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/tcr.advanced.sl.2/11488/55793/

is there a clear advantage from one to another? is the cannondale evo a good bike or is it something of a "beginner" model that is something i'd outgrow and want something "better" in the future? doesn't seem like it at all, but i just wanted to hear some of your guys' opinions.

thanks dudes.

2. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I don't think you'd go wrong with either. Whatever fits best is the best choice IMO.

3. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

You're a new rider, i take it?

4. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

get the dale'

5. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

For that kind of money I would look at other manufactures too. Cervelo, Look, Colnago...

6. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

Wow. You're looking to spend between $4000 and $6000 on a bicycle?

7. Some people spend over $10,000!!!

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

There are whole component groups that exceed that

9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I spent 3200 on my bike.....used.

Hell the wheels were 2K when they were new.

10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Damn, and I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on a $800 Specialized hybrid.

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Got to Wal-Mart and get the cheapest heaviest POS you can find. This is for exercise remember...no need to pedal 20 miles when you can wear yourself out before you get to the end of the driveway.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  12. hayes131

hayes131 Well-Known Member

Cannondale. Love my EVO...

13. hayes131

hayes131 Well-Known Member

Also, Fillmore rides a CAAD 10 (aluminum frame). Ask if he likes his. They offer Ultegra Di2 electric group on CAAD 10 for competitive price.

14. LOL.

That's a pretty spot on description of the comparison between a Walmart special, and a $5,000 bike.:D

15. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I love my Cannondale and it's not near as nice as that one.

16. You've been putting in some serious work on Strava!

Right now, Im strictly MTB, but am thinking about getting a road bike to do some local crit racing. Do those electric shifters make a noticeable difference?

17. ton

ton Arf!

At that price point, the question you're asking is whether a gsxr 600 or R6 is too much of a beginner bike.

All that matters is which you like, cuz you're not going to outride the machine and some guy or girl on a twenty year old steel tank with 8 speed components and old school 3 cross 36 hole spoked wheels is going to hand you your ass.

18. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

+1

Just get a sturdy bike with solid components and pedal your ass off. In cycling, it's 95% rider, 5% equipment.

19. light 3

light 3 the bot

^^that's what my line of thinking is as well. my gut is towards the cannondale.

i'm not new to riding, but new to these types of bikes. i've been following cycling itself for a few years now and through doing work in the field, it has really grown my interest and love for the sport. i love the mental aspect and pushing your mind and body to what you think is your limit. i run a lot as well. trains my mind and keeps me sharp. ;)

20. sonicnofadz

sonicnofadz Well-Known Member

I don't think I could purchase a bike for $4k + that didn't have some kind of engine bolted to it ;) Check out craigslist, you can find newish carbon cannondales for less than half that price (depreciation is a bitch).