1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another car thread. Wanting a sports car. Which one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, May 26, 2022.

1. No shit?

Wow. Damn I hope I never have to pay for repairs.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

@Boman Forklift
    Actually, I could throw a lot of money at it with mods/upgrades/paint and, not only would it would last another twenty trouble-free years, it would be less expensive than replacing it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  3. fastfreddie

FWIW, the $20K paint job would be a particular PPG code...Ducati Monster Dark.
    The mods and upgrades would be less...4x4/manual conversion, some minor diesel performance stuff and better suspension/steering wear items.

4. upload_2022-10-19_20-50-1.jpeg

That would be badass.

5. fastfreddie

:crackup:

I'd like to, but I'm kinda over diesels. I could sell it "as is" for $20K. Take that, the same money that bought Gigi (<$40K) and I could have a new Godzilla SuperDuty. :cool:

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Understood.

I'm just too much of a cheap ass to spend that much money on an old POS that isn't worth it just for paint. I'm not saying I'm right, that is just my thought process. I would rather go find one that is in great shape that doesn't need paint and buy it and sell mine. Now the other mod's I totally get, just 20k for paint on a regular diesel truck just isn't my thing.

Now spend that on some cool sports car or muscle car and I'm all ears, that makes sense to me, even though you still may not get your money back out of it?

BigBird likes this.
  7. Boman Forklift

Now that makes more sense to me....

8. fastfreddie

I'm with ya on polishing turds, but the dually is rust free, dependable, has four OEM leather captains chairs and none of that DEF/Regen BS. Pretty much irreplaceable.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

i guess i'm jaded. early on in life I used to do the car show thing and seen so many cars that were repainted that were pretty terrible. There were many shops locally that were good for most people, but they actually sucked. The shop that I go to that charges exorbitant amounts and works on million dollar cars, they are really good, but they charge A LOT of money to do very good work. At some point, it's almost the cost of buying a new car, and well I could almost tell 95% of the time where it's been painted

10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

A good paint job takes a lot of labor and is only as good as the quality of that labor. The actual spraying of paint is the least important part of it.

11. fastfreddie

And that is why my truck's $20K paint job will likely end up being a DIY job with a roller and a bucket of bedliner. :crackup:

Of course, I'll use some of that fancy tape that has an edge you can slide under window molding so it will look like $10K in labor. ;)

Gorilla George and BigBird like this.
  12. Boman Forklift

Well that back yard solution is much less expensive than the $20k job you mentioned doing. Heck if you do it outside, there will be enough dust in it, your wife won’t need to buy fingernail files anymore.

It could then qualify as a Maaco paint job.

Gorilla George likes this.
  13. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

FIFY

14. fastfreddie

The worst cliche ever applies here...
    "It is what it is."

15. fastfreddie

And if I paint over the bird shit, it could pass for an Earl Scheib paint job. :D

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I got a message from my brother last night. I had to do a double take to make sure it wasn't coming from Broome.

He bought a BMW 5 series about a year ago. After his 4 series 4-door coupe sat for months while he was deciding what to do, he finally put it up for sale. Got himself a buyer and agreed on the deal. But not the last moment, he changed his mind because he felt the buyer was too short and didn't look right in his car. And he seemed way too happy to be getting the car. It made my brother realize that he did not want to sell it so he's keeping it.

ChemGuy likes this.
  17. WTF? The buyer was too short and didn’t look right? :crackup:

As long as the money looked right, fuck it. The dude looking silly is his problem.

BigBird likes this.
  18. fastfreddie

Papa's brother sells Ferraris for a living. :crackup:

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, in certain ways, that boy is about as nuts as you are.

20. upload_2022-10-20_12-7-46.jpeg

HPPT likes this.