1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another car thread. Wanting a sports car. Which one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, May 26, 2022.

1. FFS that shits expensive. Ive never had a car painted, but I would imagine I could just have the car repainted for $5500.

2. Jerry promised me that he would be the only one driving it for the PDI.

He is in his mid-60’s and doesn’t get in a hurry doing anything. I trust him (he handled the Turbo Bacon also).

But with that being said, those old man farts might be pretty bad. :crackup:

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You can barely get a bumper cover repainted for $3000 these days. Add to that the crazy people in Porsche land who see less value in a repainted car even if it has never been in an accident. Just that fact that someone other than Porsche put paint on a panel means the car is worth less or worthless depending on just how crazy they are...

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

Let's just hope that's all that comes out

5. Sarcasm? Or is that seriously what it costs to have shit painted?

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

i agree with them

7. Damnit :crackup:

I busted out laughing and the wife asked me what’s up. I said “Babe, what if Jerry sharts in my car?” :crackup:

Razr and BigBird like this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

paint an entire vehicle by a good certified shop is probably about $10k

@cortezmachine could enlighten us

Gorilla George and Razr like this.
  9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I’ll bet he drinks a big protein shake before the PDI. :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I do not. As long as the work is done well I don't see the problem. I do greatly care about how something that has been crumpled up is repaired.

11. I agree.

Paint is paint.

As long as it looks good as new, who cares?

12. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

generally, a repainted vehicle is worth less because of the perception that there may be work underneath that is not done to speck or there may be body filler. The actual paint itself is stronger and held to a higher longevity, standard than factory paint by a large margin, catalyzed paint that you spray on a vehicle in a body shop will actually last way fucking longer than factory paint of any kind when done properly. Much of the cost associated with a complete paint job at any reputable shop comes from the labor in tearing down the entire vehicle to change the color so that there are no areas with paint Edges from masking which peel back due to time and solar radiation. Given proper documentation of the process and correlating product receipts I don’t see why it should lower the resale value. I mean if you’re talking about a collector piece then yeah obviously you want it original.

13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

It needs to be in a clean environment when applied and curing. The good shops have a clean bay/section of shop where it sits overnight to cure. You don't want that just done out in the open air to sit and cure.
    I wasn't able to pick mine up the morning after, so mine sat in the clean shop for a day and a half.

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Hey I’m in my 50’s, but us old guys like to go fast and floor the heck out of other peoples cars, too.:D

15. Yeah, that is what he said too. He said it has to go there because that shop has a “vacuum room” where they do the ceramic coating.

I don’t know what that is, but I assume it is the same kinda thing you are talking about.

16. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

It’s dark out now. Have you snuck over to the dealership yet? :D

17. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

To repaint our '02 CrewCab dually properly is upwards of $20K; $10K if I don't care about a custom color.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

And that can't be worth doing.

19. I actually thought about that. :D

But he said if I didn’t make it there before 6, it would be locked up in the service shop so they can start the PDI tomorrow.

It got there late in the afternoon, so it probably still has that protective white shit all over it anyway.

BigBird likes this.