1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Animal Control question

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Donkey1, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Donkey1

Donkey1 Well-Known Member

So the p.o.s section 8 house in my neighborhood just had their dog seized by animal control and put down. The dog was a german shepard mix, it bit 3 people constantly got out and was aggressive towards other animals also. The final straw was when it cornered a mother out walking her dog with her 2 kids. My question is, is there no law in MD that if you get a dog seized you cant go out the next week and get another one, as they now have an adult pitbull? I searched but no luck. Im not downing any breeds as I have a pitbull and a min pinscher. They are both well trained and receive the structure in their lives to make them good dogs. I have no doubt theres do not. I have serious issue with these people as I beleive they will just get another dog killed.:down:

2. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Not to be un PC but I would be way more worried that there dog will kill something else before it gets put down. Call Child Protective Services/DHS on them and report neglect because of dangerous dogs. Might get the owners to think twice if they have to make a choice between their kids or dog.

3. NuVanTrin

NuVanTrin Active Member

if they are convicted of a crime such as neglect or cruelty a judge can order they not be allowed to own animal within that justification.

4. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Have you tried contacting your local SPCA? If there are any such laws or ordinances they'd probably know it.

I'm had a very similar experience with my neighbor across the street, could be frustrating.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Call animal control and tell them they got another dog. The case officer would know if there's an order barring them from getting another dog.

6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

There is a chance that the Shepherd was just wrong in the head (not common in that breed though) and the Pitbull is an adult so raised by someone else. My experience with Pits are a properly raised one is a sweet dog with an even temperament. Of course I have no idea if these people are wack jobs but my point is that this dog may not be an issue, so you might consider it.

7. gixrdeb

gixrdeb Doesn't like to play nice

Most states can only prohibit a person from owning a dog if they have been convicted of neglect or abuse. In the county I live in, there are circumstances that a person would be prohibited from owning certain types of dogs in the event they are a convicted felon but that's about it. Bottom line is it's a violation of their rights to prohibit them from owning a dog because they had one bad dog or they are irresponsible people.

You might want to contact Sec 8 housing and let them know what's going on. I can only speak for California on this, but here if a landlord/property owner allows a renter to have a dog at the residence and that dog goes out and bites someone, the property owner can also liable for damages caused by the dog. Most people don't know this. You may have a similar law there. At a minimum, if neighbors get together and start complaining to section 8, they may not want them to remain there and give them the boot :beer:

8. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I wonder if Michael Vick is allowed to own a dog? :D

9. Donkey1

So I talked to animal control and they said theres nothing saying if they take a dog from someone they cant go out the next day and get another one. Best he said he could do is look into their case and make sure there wasnt a judgment against them from court saying they couldnt. Pretty lame.

10. Donkey1

Well that didnt take long, animal control picked up their pitbull roaming the neighborhood yesterday afternoon. What a bunch of worthless f@*ks

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

better watch out, they might get another dog or since they are so wacked out they might put up a lost sign :eek:

12. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

I think a letter to that affect would get any responsible owners attention.