AMA moves to a spec tire

Discussion in 'General' started by Knarf Legna, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dunlop want cookie, Dunlop get cookie!

3. Knarf Legna

Ya think? We're apparently witnessing the dawn of a new era of bonehead decisions by the AMA.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They've made some real "winners" this season, I'm waiting for one final monster one to top off the season.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

OK Frank, that's just freaky: I was 60 seconds away from starting a thread on the same topic, with the same title.

I think it's interesting to compare how the same situation was handled by Formula One and by the AMA. During the Michelin tire debacle last year at Indianapolis, the sanctioning body did not cave and chose to adhere to the rules and maintain fairness rather than do what was best for the spectators. The AMA decided to do what was best for the spectators (well, they did it by doing what was best for Dunlop, whether it was their intention or not to do what was best for the spectators). I am not sure which decision I agree with more.

Formula One basically decided to take a hit on the spot, and close the door to potential ramifications for years to come by setting a bad precedent. But in doing that, they turned away thousands if not more who probably will never attend another race or even watch one on TV. The AMA, on the other hand, opened itself up to serious allegations of collusion with Dunlop years down the road when Michelin, Pirelli or Bridgestone sponsor a factory team and feel their tires cannot go the distance on a particular weekend.

Sooner or later, this will get interesting.

6. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

love this part "Peris and his crew declined comment on the incident."

funny how you NEVER hear anyone blame their tires regardless of how FUBAR'd they are...wonder what they're afraid of :D

7. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel Well-Known Member

:down:

I am all about safety but come on, this is on another level of catering to a manufacturer.

If EVERYONE was on Dunlops I wouldn't have a problem with it but why should they be catered to and rewarded for making a sub standard product? :confused:

8. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

WOW. Unbelievable. So, if Cardenas had the rest of the race he could have had that podium after all.

9. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

Since when does Jim Allen make the rules for AMA?!?!

Maybe he shoulda just told those on D's to just slow the f@ck down (or use a P, M, or B). :D

BTW, didn't they just test at RA a month or so ago??? Why is it a problem now?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You think if Michelin or Pirelli had an issue they'd shorten the race?

My Magic Meatball says "Go F@ckyourself". I hate my Magic Meatball.

11. Knarf Legna

That's the problem with this decision, it only fuels the fire of the point of view that certain manufacturers get favorable treatment. I suppose one could argue it was a safety issue, but I think we all can imagine how this may have played out if it was Pirelli who was having an issue instead of Dunlop.

12. Cuddles de Sade

a) love when JU has the bit in his teeth about something

b) the part I wanna see is how they spin this decision in the coming days...Broadhead made the call that seemed right to him at the time...cool, tough job and I wouldn't want it...but seems like the AMA stands behind the decisions it should reconsider and waffles on the ones it should be firm on. which way will the cookie crumble?

c) did someone say PIE?

13. Triple Nickel

WOW, even the announcers avoided saying Dunlop was the problem.:Poke:

They said the race has been shortened to 20 laps because they are concerned about " the tires ". :down:

14. Knarf Legna

Morgan Broadhead appears to be a shining example of the Peter Principle.

15. Cuddles de Sade

you need to treat it better...

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If I was a lawyer for another manufacturer, I would argue that trying to run the Daytona 200 on one tire is also a safety issue and that's the reason why they change them during the race. In other words, if your tire cannot go the distance, plan for a pit stop. It's allowed.

17. Cuddles de Sade

...hmmm...there is this mafia-like thing about running Dun-pops...you don't speak bad of the family...or else...

18. Knarf Legna

What frustrates me the most is that we were seeing some improvements in the way the AMA Pro Racing worked, and now it seems that we've witnessed them taking several significant steps backwards. What was once encouraging is now discouraging. Sad.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I really think Edited by Dunlop! You say that again, we'll sue you in court in England, Mr. Ha Ha pants. and there's nothing you can do about it, Dunlop!

20. Triple Nickel

:clap: :D