1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AIRTECH problems

Discussion in 'General' started by jpmarm, Jan 4, 2002.

1. jpmarm

jpmarm Justin Marm

Has anyone ever had a problem dealing with Airtech? Please respond, I had a major issue with Max today. I ordered a total of three sets of bodywork in the last 4 months with plans to get three more before March. UPS crushed one of the two boxes I got a few weeks ago and cracked an upper fairing. Now UPS declines the claim stating AIRTECH packaged the fiberglass improperly. Max @ Airtech wanted me to cover shipping "because it isn't his fault". Meanwhile, he won't send a new piece out until he receives the old one which doesn't work because I'll miss my track day @ Roebling in two weeks. Of course, Max didn't get the proper insurance coverage with UPS, so basically I'm stuck with a cracked fairing. It's my fault, I should have ordered skinz or GP-composite, they wouldn't have cracked like solid fiberglass junk from airtech! Max and I battled on the phone, he should have done the right thing instead of being such a d--k! He just lost at least 3 sales from me, not to mention that I will never have anything good to say to anyone about this....
    Sorry, just needed to vent!

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I've had issues with them too. Very unpleasant experience a couple of years ago. Then again last year, fairings shipped to the wrong address. I haven't (and will not) dealt with them since.

3. Renaissance man

Renaissance man Well-Known Member

I have bought two sets of bodywork in the last 4 months. I have had good results with product and service except they did not ship when they said they would. (NOTE: The first set shipped two days after ordering and I had it on my doorstep in one week) Apparently in Nov-Dec they only ship every two weeks. I fell on the "bubble" of their shipping dates and it basically took them 2.5 weeks to actually ship. It was not an issue as the second set was a spare set.

The nice thing besides the price (499.00) was that they sold me the second set for 340.00 with no special service requested. Great deal.

Sharkskinz is better quality, but I would rather have two sets so that I have set for "repair rotation" so I am not scrambling around in the middle of the season.

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Marcus McBain

[This message has been edited by Renaissance man (edited 01-05-2002).]

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

way back in '96 they didn't accept credit cards and it took 2 weeks for the "check to clear"...bs, I watched the account, the check was cashed in 3 days after being mailed...then it took 2 more weeks before it shipped, I kept calling every couple of days but they always had another bs answer...the same goofy story about shipping only every two weeks was one of their lines...what is up with that?

5. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

The Plastic Dr. is always on time.

Saved me over $8000 in bodywork. I've had the same 2 sets of bodywork for the last 2 seasons. And I have been known to crash on occasion...

6. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I had no problem with their shipping back in 99 but their body work leaves alot to be desired. It was street bodywork that didn't fit too well and was not just a bolt on replacement like they told me(ie, no mounts for Yamaha headlight).

There is no flexibility in their bodywork which cracks too easy(unless they have changed).

Sharkskinz is the best I have dealt with and that is what I will put on my RC.

7. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

The one and only time I've ever dealt with Airtech I ordered on a Friday and got my full set the folowing Friday.

8. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

The problem I had with Air tech is turnaround time. They said two weeks and it was really more like 6 weeks. I got the bodywork and it had the original sticker imprints on the glass from the bodywork they made the mold from. I had to sand them out. I was not impressed.

Chuck

9. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

So what do they weigh now, about 80 lbs. each? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Man I'm glad I did not buy AIRTECH, they would have really screwed me with my ordering background [​IMG] Skinz may be better $$ but I ordered my bodywork from Multi-Tech & recieved excellent service. In fact I was shocked at how good it was. The order went well on the phone, the guy said it would be 3 weeks but it showed up in 2 weeks exactly. The fit was good & it was packaged very well. They charged me NO shipping (they had a deal going at the time). I have not field tested the stuff so I personally can not tell you how it will hold up but it seems very flexible & durable. I shopped online for bodywork for about 3 weeks straight & almost went with AIRTECH but the Multi-Tech price was way too good to overlook.

My painter [​IMG] still has my bodywork so no pics to post except of when it had primer on it. The fit was suprisingly good, as good as the OEM crap. I'm happy [​IMG]

11. WFF

WFF Well-Known Member

Two years ago, I ordered EX500 fairings TWICE. Both times there was no shipment and no charge on my CC. I haven't bought from them since..... Lose my order TWICE?

I'll probably have to deal with them again on EX500 fairings..... but I'll buy them thru Lockhart-Philips. Service there is MUCH better.

12. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Since his 6R gives factory bikes fits, WERA put a minimum weight on his bike [​IMG]

13. aod99

aod99 Administrator

14. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

15. Mike Henry

Mike Henry Well-Known Member

I have had the same experience with Air-tech. I will never buy another piece from them. They sent the wrong part blah blah blah, good friendly service first until there was a problem then blah blah blah, then when I finally got the right part, it didn't fit yada yada yada

------------------
    Speed Safely, Mike Henry

16. tweety

tweety Well-Known Member

Sent wrong model year pieces. Arrived days before actual race. Stated that they would overnight the right stuff at no charge. Never came until a few days later.
    Will not use these people again if I have a choice.

17. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

I got a set of 01 GSXR stuff from M-T and it was not very good. Yes the construction was ok but the quality of the product as far as appearance was very low quality. You could see the headlight impression and where the solo seat cap was from the factory bodywork and also the lower had markings in the fiberglass where the two sections come together. Basically it looking like they made molds from stock bodywork but they did not spend much time perfecting it.

18. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I must have got the updated stuff. No problems with any of it that I could really complain about. Now if it were going on a streetbike, well I would want a little more quality in the lower matching the upper especially near the rear. Really though I think it looks good & definetly will serve my purpose. Only problem I have is that my painter is spending way too much time trying to deliver a Lexus type paint job. No matter how much I tell him 50 feet 50 mph he just does not get it [​IMG] Oh well it'll be the shinest bike on the grid...at least maybe to the 1st corner [​IMG]

19. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

And it's still fast!

Actually the Plastic Dr. puts a thin fibreglass reinforcing grid on the inside of the repair- make for a very thin repair. Besides, I have a weight advantage anyway- all the skin and debris I've left behind!

20. gregford61

gregford61 Well-Known Member

Buy shark or be disappointed.