1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air compressor stalling

Discussion in 'General' started by tiggen, Dec 11, 2022.

1. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

60 gallon CH compressor is stalling out around 75-80psi. Runs like a top up to that point, though it does seem to take longer than it used to. Tank does hold pressure.

Any ideas?

2. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

I had to replace the pressure switch on mine at about 1.5 years old. It wasn't turning on at all, though.

When you say, "stalling out", do you meant the compressor runs but doesn't build anymore air?

3. tiggen

Motor is trying to run, but pump stops pumping.

4. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

Mine was more on the electrical side, yours sounds like something mechanical.

Did you open the air cleaner to make sure nothing built a nest in there? I am assuming this is a two stage? Other than that, I'm sure some one who deals with these things on the regular will drop in shortly.

5. tiggen

1 stage. Checked air filter, same problem with filter removed. Looks to be check valve or pressure switch based on internet research.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

If it’s not building pressure but the pop off valve isn’t blowing off, I’d say your problem is in your compressor head/cylinder.

How old is it? Service history? Oil level correct and clean?

7. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

I have an 80 gallon IR, its had all the problems. Im not exactly sure what you mean by stalling out, but.. I had a problem where the copper tube going from the compressor to the tank developed a crack at the fitting, and was blowing air out there instead of into the tank. It didn’t leak if the compressor wasn’t running. I had a head gasket go bad, and leaked air out there. I also had the valves in the head come loose, and make it so the pump didn’t work right. First thing I would do, is check around the pump for air leaks while it is running. If that doesn’t show any problems, order some new gaskets, and pull the pump apart, and check all the valves. Compressors are pretty simple, and should be no problem if you have any mechanical knowledge.

8. tiggen

Pump is newish, maybe a year. Crank sheared on the last one.

Prolly need to change oil. Last time I put was when I replaced the pump.

Serivce history: an ape has thrown wrenches at it for about 10 years.

9. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

All of my problems with mine, happened when it was pretty new, must have been a Friday compressor. After I rebuilt everything, I haven’t had a problem, and that’s probably been over 15 years. And this compressor gets used for automotive painting which is constant duty for a significant amount of time.

10. tiggen

So maybe stalling isn't the right word? I start with tank empty and swtich it on. Motor spins, pulls flywheel, pump pumps, pressure builds to about 75 psi at which point the motor can no longer pull the flywheel, pump stops pumping, motor hums, then I shut it off.

Edit: if it were a bad gasket, would it build any pressure at all?

11. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

I feel like that was similar to what happened when I had a bad head gasket. The pump got tight, but the motor had the power to spin, then it shredded the belt.

12. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

I called IR telling them what happened. They told me it needed a head gasket. They shipped me new parts, I put em in, and everything worked fine after that, until the valves came loose.

tiggen likes this.
  13. pickled egg

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh…

That sounds like a weak motor or too high of friction in the compressor.

Considering the compressor rolls well enough to get that 75psi into the tank I’d suspect the motor is on its way out. If you’re able to, bump up a fraction of a HP on a replacement motor so it doesn’t have to work as hard, so long as your wiring and frame supports the larger motor.

tiggen likes this.
  14. tiggen

Is there a way to trouble shoot if it is the motor or just a capacitor? There are two. I'm assuming one is start and the other a run?

If it's the motor, I might just bite the bullet on a better compressor.

15. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

My compressor had a similar issue when the regulator went bad..

16. pickled egg

Most likely if the run cap was bad the motor would overheat and thermal would kick out before it could even build 25psi. Motors do not like low voltages.

How long does it run before the motor binds up? If it’s more than a minute or two, I doubt it’s the run cap.

tiggen likes this.
  17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've got two compressors in the shop , the older one runs my lift table. Probably 5 years ago the head gasket went out of it, old enough I couldn't get a new one so I made one out of the cover of a Parts Unlimited catalog. Still holding and going strong, if it blows out again I'll just make another.

Phl218, TurboBlew and pickled egg like this.
  18. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

If the motor is running and it’s not building pressure it could be the unloaders, usually they may have rubber diaphragm’s that have worn (cracked, dry rotted)

tiggen likes this.
  19. tiggen

A few min to get to 75 psi.

20. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Put a new motor on it.