Aftermarket backup camera?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ganja Dude, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Ganja Dude

Ganja Dude Well-Known Member

I've looked at a few wired/wireless. Anyone here bought/used any of the aftermarket ones? Wondering what I should get and figured opinions here are as good as anywhere else.

2. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Depends on what you are putting it on. Wireless ones aren't worth a shit from the ones I've seen installed.

3. Ganja Dude

Putting it on a Jetta sportwagen, a lot of the stuff I've been seeing though it looks like I do need to go wired. Don't want the SO backing the new car into things.:D

4. do NOT do a wireless one, i was an installer for a long time. those things will pick up traffic cam images and weird stuff plus the clarity on them blows. advent/audiovox ones are clear for a good price. if you need a decent deal on one, i can probably help you out.

5. Ganja Dude

Thanks, shoot me some prices when you get a chance.

6. as long as you can wait til monday, i'll get it to you. just PM me on monday and remind me.

7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I ended up putting in a touchscreen radio that had expandability for a camera. The camera was only about 80 bucks. I think the radio set me back 900.

Thing plays DVD movies, hooks up to ipod, has gps, etc. It was worth the money for sure.

8. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I fooked up when mounting a camera on an E250 van. Had them install it in the rear door, in place of the keyhole/lock. Points directly rearward, no view of bumper. It's a constant feed setup, and sucks at night with headlights from behind blowing up the screen.

9. Ganja Dude

Waiting til Mon is not a problem, she won't be driving it much until it hits 5000 miles, I have to make sure it is broke in properly.:D

10. Ganja Dude

I don't have anything to play movies on, but I am hoping to not spend that much on it.;)

11. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

I have had this one for a couple of years. It has 2 things I like.
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23614_Lock-Pick-Bar-Cam-221.html

1 is the camera has a jumper that will invert the video for you depending on where/how you mount it.

2 it has built in distance marker overlay that you can turn off with a jumper too. The reason you may want to turn it off is if you point the camera in such a way so that the distance marker overlay is inaccurate. I use mine for backing up close to walls and cars when I park, not for looking to see if there are kids around.

One thing I have noticed, and I am not sure if it is my pioneer head unit or the camera, is that occasionally when I put the truck in reverse, I get a black screen. Usually a simple throw to neutral and back to reverse fixes it.