A Story Worth Living: One night only, May 19

Discussion in 'General' started by SupermotoFan, Apr 20, 2016.

1. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

Looks gorgeous. I wonder if it's really a whole pack of newbie riders like the trailer implies.

http://astoryfilm.com

2. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

Looks interesting.

3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Several of them in same off road riding class my brother took in Colorado last year.

The words "melodramatic" and "pain in the a**" came up more than once...

SupermotoFan likes this.
  4. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

My Dad and I saw it last night. I think he summed it up best:

"I'd rather have another thyroid biopsy. It was shorter and less painful."

The motorcycles were incidental. Mostly what you got was a lot of sponsor product placement and dodgy narrative about the "story" of our lives tenuously connected by anecdotes about pre-teen heartbreak and existential terror. Also, they were almost all poseurs who I think decided to make a movie to further their careers and fund a cool vacation. I'm sure the inmates at advrider are tearing them apart right now.

5. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

This seemed like an appropriate response from advrider:
    "I guess this boils down to whether you knew who John Eldredge is. I'm so surprised by the reaction to the movie on here that I can only assume many of you didn't know the name John Eldredge. He's an evangelist, and best selling Christian artist. He's like Billy Graham. To me this is like going to a Black Sabbath concert and complaining that the guitars were really loud, or going to a U2 concert and finding out Bono has political views. This is what John Eldredge, And Sons Magazine and Sacred Heart Ministries does. They produce male-oriented media designed to get men to look deeper in their heart to find who they are, where they came from and what wounds need to be healed. Its not for everyone, I get that. But the smallest bit of research (or watching the trailer) should have clued people in as to what the purpose of this movie was.
    I'm still surprised people felt duped or hoodwinked. I felt they were very upfront that this was an evangelical movie with motorcycle adventure as the backdrop.
    I found it contrived as well and very cheesy in spots. But the cinematography was first rate and there was a lot of really cool shots in it."

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Damn, now I REALLY don't want to see it.

7. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I usually don't spend one second researching who the director of a movie is...
    I watched the trailer, i didnt get it was JesusLandMarkMotorcycle anymore than I got it was going to be BrokeBack HardPacked TwoTrack...

Instead I got it was going to be Another Epic Motorcycle film in the LongWay Around style.

My Son saved me from the pain, as he went with his wife both avid motorcyclist.. Both left dissapointed.

Reviews and comments on ADV Rider prove this out... That many negatives, from Motorcycle Folks can not be wrong.

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

Glad i didn't go see it. the trailer looked "promising"

9. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Get off of ADV right now before we go buy bikes and do epic rides!!!

Looks like a ok movie. Like it was said in the above post, I would like the shots in it.

Is the Long Way Round any good??

10. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

My apologies for starting this.

The cinematography looked appealing, but now I'm glad that I missed it.

11. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

This stuff is always funny to me. When I checked out the teaser site for the movie I rolled my eyes so hard I got dizzy. It's the same predictable garbage. The words "melodramatic" and "existential terror" have already been thrown around, and I think that about covers it.

The moral of the story should be that if you're a filmmaker and you want to relate to motorcyclists, you'd better nail it, or you'll be burned at the stake.

12. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to see why it was promoted as "One Night Only."

13. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Go buy a bike and meet me in ky over Labor Day. I'm organizing a 4 day trip of the KAT now.

14. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Long way round is the best MC show there is IMO.

15. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

16. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Y'all are a bunch of godless heathens, ev'ry one of ya. :crackup:

17. charles

charles The Transporter

Yes and they will all be punished..how, exactly, I'm not certain…but it will be terrible and drawn out for millions of years, at least.

18. RNYC

RNYC Well-Known Member

I was in that class. I'd say I was proud I didn't punch them, but it would be a big like punching a puppy. Nice enough, but yes, melodramatic is an excellent description. And, but for one, fairly awful riders.

The comments about the film are hilarious.

Must be tough to be an overprivileged young man these days. Lots of heady issues to decide.

19. charles

charles The Transporter

Buddha said: "Life is difficult."

20. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Just talked to my brother about it, apparently it's tough being omnipotent.

I keep picturing Anthony Michael hall in Breakfast Club.." Who are you? Who are you?":crackup:

Last edited: May 21, 2016