1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

99 TL1000R racebike project

Discussion in 'Tech' started by crazymofo, May 3, 2016.

1. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I'm just glad I didn't stay the extra day at Barber and took you up on your offer to make some laps. I woulda REALLY been fucked. Whew!

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

And if you desire to remove the Airbox and put Pods on be prepared to have your Eardrums sucked out.... I tried that at Putnam years back and as soon as I pulled out of the Pits I was Like F^&*K!!!!! The Ram Air Tubes and Box are a Must.... Sharkskinz used to make a good set of both as well as Hermit Dragon who is long gone....

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Coming to Barber in July with WERA? :Poke: I will have both there and ready......

4. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

WERA in July and STT in June. :D And no lol

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I will be missing Barber in June but will be up in Cheeseland for Road America...

cajun636 likes this.
  6. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I always thought you needed the airbox with the ram air tubes to help make power.

I imagine the wiring harness is like anything else where you can cut out all the fuses, fuel level sensors, speedo wires, etc to save a little complexity.

I know you can still buy the Nissin Shindy 6 pot calipers if you don't want to shell out the $$ for AP or Beringer.

I also removed the entire fast idle system (cables and hardware bolted to the throttle bodies), flapper delete, and the pair delete. You could also hack the subframe to something way smaller to save some weight.

7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

And if you get access to one, I have the resources to copy (I am sure I am not the only one), but would really like to get one as Kurt wants to convert his '03 to track use over the next winter.

So, again access would be appreciated even if we have to wait til winter.:D

tks
    M

cajun636 likes this.
  8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Make two :D

9. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

The airbox thought was my understanding as well. There's even an article out there where they were interviewing the Yoshimura team and they mentioned it losing power removing the airbox. And they had theirs up in HP considerably. They did run a different airbox, but I think that was probably more due to the different fuel tank and throttle bodies than anything. That and some weight. Even with everything removed from the airbox, it's still a heafty thing. I'd love to find a replacement fiberglass box for cheap.

The subframe doesn't lose too much weight hacking up, it's already an aluminum tube frame. I went ahead and removed all of the unused brackets from mine before I painted, but it's already feather-lite like that, so haven't got into making custom exhaust hangers yet to remove the back half. Seems more trouble than it's worth right now, but maybe I'll get bored one day and do it anyways.

For an interesting read, the Yoshimura race kit manual shows everything they cut off the frame. Most of it's useless now as it's all un-obtainable parts, but there's a couple interesting pieces in there.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

On the subframe I have done both and have learned its best to keep it stock for the exhaust brackets... I have broken carbon and metal brackets on the last few TL's I have had... I decided to keep the subs stock on the 2 I have now......

11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

:crackup:

All kidding aside, I have the guys to get this done I just need the link for about 2-3 days to get the specs and then send it to the tool and die shop and let the water jet eat!

I am hoping to eventually do the same thing with a Fox link for the oiler GSXR project too!:D
    (EDIT: I hate to admit it that I had access to a Fox link and just dropped the ball on getting it)

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    cajun636 likes this.
  12. crazymofo

crazymofo Then i was like...Braaap!

13. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I thought it was in a fire based on the first picture :)