1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

96 Triumph sprint

Discussion in 'General' started by Joe barton, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Joe barton

Joe barton Well-Known Member

What is the consensus regarding the fun factor and value on these bikes? Would like to hear from folks who have owned them and loved or hated them. Thx Joe b

2. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I owned a 98 Sprint Executive for a year and 16k miles. Same basic bike, just with hardbags stock. Solid bike. Over engineered, and under stressed motor. I fell victim to "runs faster, jumps higher" and traded in for the 1999 Sprint ST. But the first gen bikes were good streetbikes. Little top heavy. I'm betting not much left for aftermarket now. You could play mix and match with performance parts from a Super3 to get a little more power out of it. The Alcon 6 piston front calipers from the Super3 were tasty. The motor will sound, er, agracultural if your used to Japanese bikes. There's a lot of whirling and nashing soulds. Try to think of it as character, lol

3. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

If you're a shortarse, don't even think about it. Tall-ish top heavy bikes with ergos to suit the taller types. As was said, built like a tank and pretty reliable, although the first gen Triumphs seemed to eat the occasional coil.
    Character, yes. Sound great with a ste of Staintunes or D&D's.
    Cheers, Lee S.

4. Joe barton

Thanks guys- He is asking 1600 for a 96 with 20k miles. That seems pretty reasonable, any thoughts?

5. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

I'm terrible at pricing. Not many miles at least. Sounds like a decent deal too me. But I haven't been looking at what their going for.

6. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Sounds like a decent deal if it's in decent shape. No miles at all for that motor. Then you could Speed Triple it, some Super III cams, the afforementioned Alcon 6 potters, etc :)
    Cheers, Lee S.

7. Joe barton

Thanks- bought it and put 150 miles on it that afternoon. Only pulled over once.

8. bus

bus Monkey with a football

Replace the Gil coils with Nology coils. The Gils WILL leave you stranded on the side of the road. (Ask me how I know) Also, keep the battery in perfect shape. Weak batteries tended to shorten the life of the sprag clutch which is a major repair. Other than those two things, the mid to late 90's Triumph triples are bulletproof.