1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6 months into my 8 month wandering adventure

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Mar 31, 2023.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

For Yzass....I've been burned by bad pasta in Italy before (and bad pizza too). I sort of shy away from it since its so hard to find really good pasta. I went ahead and ordered a fish-based pasta in Sicily a few nights ago and truthfully, it was kinda nasty. I'll stick with cacio e pepe and pizza in the future. Caveat: I really dig pasta up north that is butter-based, rather than olive oil-based. Blasphemy!

pasta.jpg

Yzasserina likes this.
  2. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yeah that looks a little gnarly. Cacio e pepe is one if my faves too. Keep it simple!

3. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

You've become a millennial, taking pictures of your food and posting to social media. :p It's pretty cool that you've got the flexibility in your business to go wilding. I'm trying to dump my day job to just do my design/machine shop biz, as I can work whatever hours I feel like. Maybe then I can finally get my ass on the road. Kind of in the same boat as you, though fortunately the ex didn't try to take me to the cleaners. She's regretting that now I think.

So I wonder how many of us actually has the stones to do the kind of thing you're doing. I'll have to admit that there are places that I just have no desire to go, like anyplace there might be civil war...lol. Maybe I've become too chicken shit in my old age. I used to get on the bike and just point the bike in a direction, with no idea where I was going, or for how long. Seems a lifetime ago.

motion and BigBird like this.
  4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Civil war tourism isn't an age thing. It's a mental condition thing. :D

Yzasserina, motion and BigBird like this.
  5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

It helps to not give a f*&*ck about anything. I'm OK with whatever happens, and usually the really bad things are beyond your control anyway. I don't really recommend this sort of activity for most people, though. It can be pretty uncomfortable at times. Also, I think its better to save a lot of it for later in life so you don't have the "been there, done that" syndrome too early in life.

But for sure, figuring out a way to structure your life and time so you aren't beholden to the traps of capitalism is something worthwhile to pursue!

6. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Definitely fell into that trap, trying to provide for the family....except I didn't have any of that stuff as a kid, and I never thought of myself as lacking in things even though we were poor. I had more of a don't give a F attitude when I was younger. Now, I don't know if it's my profession that has tweaked my brain or what, but I'm constantly analyzing possibilities and solutions. That makes it really hard to be in the moment. Plus it makes me a PIA for most people to be around.... :rolleyes:

motion and GRH like this.
  7. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

keep sharing brother I'm sure alot are living through your experiences....God bless my man.. thank you for sharing

motion and Razr like this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

How old are you?

This issue is fascinating to me.... the metamorphosis of people from caring about the accoutrements of wealthy cultures to not caring about them at all...

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I can't seem to avoid it... I was in Tunisia for the past week. A few days ago I started googling why in the hell there is so much military and police security in Tunisia (more than I saw in Iraq), only to discover there was a terror attack with 6 people killed just a couple miles from me in Djerba. I was eating crappy pizza nearby at the time it went down.

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

After a week in the culinary wasteland of Tunisia, I'm in the drop-dead gorgeous town of Alassio, just east of Monaco. I tried for some pasta again, only to be let down. The ravioli di mare was bland and room temp.

pasta.jpg

11. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

61 in a few months....mentally I've been told I'm 12, so average it out. I never cared about having 'stuff' (except I've acquired a stupid amount of bikes in the past 2 years). It was more just trying to keep the spouse happy, which obviously is impossible if she needed stuff to be happy.

motion likes this.
  12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, I thought of you when that happened. Did you ever make it to Djerba? Remember I suggested that last year?

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I do remember that! Yeah I was on Djerba during the attack.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Oh, okay. When I read your post, I thought that you were near Djerba.

You said last year that you had no interest in picking up hot kite surfers. What changed? :D

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Haha I did see the kite surfers.... have you been to Djerba lately? Its kinda strange and I've also noticed in other hotspots like Sousse.... there's 10 abandoned resorts for every 1 operating. I think the big attacks a few years ago have scared most everyone away.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, tourist activity shrank by something like 90% or more when that happened and took a few years to ramp back up. A lot of businesses went under in the meantime.

motion likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Oh, and Covid didn't help with the recovery.

Have you considered buying a hotel for cheap? There's got to be lots of property into there. Forget rental bikes in Montana. That would be the life. :D

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Your spouse likes motorbikes? :D

19. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Ex-spouse. But actually yes, she did love motorcycles. She rode an R1 as her daily driver. Problem is she really couldn't understand math, where I made x, and she wanted to spend x times 200%. She's a good person, but she's trying to fill a hole that nobody or nothing can fill. She needs to figure that out, as I gave it 27 years trying and just ran out of gas.

motion likes this.
  20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Rich's Cafe Americain has a nice ring to it.

A place for hippies, burnouts and grammar Nazi's to hang out.