6.5 Creedmoor or .308?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kev59, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I got over 2900 with RL-16 and ELD 140's in a 6.5 CM I backed it down to 2870 for accuracy. Most of my reloads in four different barrels have been between 2820 and 2880. I was also getting 8-10 reloads on hornady brass.

I also picked up 800 rounds of the Hornady American Gunner 140's on sale for $110 for a box of 200. Shoots a little slow compared to my reloads but accuracy is decent.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

My $.02...

.308, unless you have access to 1K+ yds. How often can you get to that range, let alone 500-700?
    Anything under 1K and the only thing 6.5 shows you, imo, is a flatter trajectory. You'll just have to turn your turret a few more clicks with .308. Big whoop.
    Windage you say? Windage schmindage...at 1000 yds in a full value 10mph wind, you could miss by 5+ feet with either round if you don't know what you're doing...and if you're really anal about marksmanship @1000yds you'll be shooting 6mm out of a twenty-eight pound tube “locked” to a table.
    That's a subjective subject. :D
    Depends on the targets, too...they might be moving and there may be a lot of 'em. :eek: For those situations, it's good to know that .308 has more kinetic energy @1K yds than a .45ACP has at the muzzle.

Sure, CM has higher everything beyond 600 yds with the dominance starting as early as 150 yds but, most times, I'd say a saber was a better choice than either an epee or foil. (.308 is art, 6mm and 6.5CM is science and truth.) If need be, would you rather have to finesse multiple thrusts of over-penetrating science and truth or just take one artful swing? (It's the .45 vs 9mm argument.)
    Another couple plusses for .308, you can cut the cases down to load .45ACP. Since they are originally rifle cartridges, the cases are stronger than pistol cases, meaning you can even load .45 Super...and .308 is generally less expensive.

Call me quirky, I only own G.I. issue calibers...consider that also encompasses NATO countries. 6.5CM may have been adopted by some of our military's elite but you won't find it in surplus cases...it's not a standard battlefield cartridge. I like knowing I have a chance of finding ammo, if... It's one of the reasons I'm not concerned about stockpiling.
    .308 is available anywhere in the Western world. I see no reason to own a better mousetrap if the cheese may be unavailable.

Oh, couple more things...
    You'll shoot out a 6.5CM barrel in as little as 2000 rds with the hot stuff, maybe you'll get 2500 rounds using run-of-the-mill shelf ammo...all 6.5CM ammo is top shelf.
    .308 doesn't give a shit what you shoot and will give you 5000+ rds of barrel life.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    MachineR1, crashman and sdg like this.
  3. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

300 win mag

just to wind this up even more

MachineR1 likes this.
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'll see your WinMag and raise you a .338. :D

5. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response, guys. Several great points without any off the wall rants. That part is weird! The ones I expected for that side must be wrapped up on the Covid-19 thread...

socalrider likes this.
  6. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I love those and buy in bulk as well. That and the ELDs are all that I shoot.

7. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

And where does it all end ?
    .408 Chey Tac , .50 BMG ,
    20 MM Bofors .. etc :D

8. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I took a whitetail at 200yards with my 6.5 in December. Hunting rounds are generally the same price as 308 like for like and I haven't had a problem finding cheap ammo for plinking.

I think the differences between the two rounds are negligible for hunting purposes, but if you also want the rifle to double as a long distance shooter, then the 6.5 really shines.

If we're throwing random cartridges around, the .300PRC makes my wewe move a little.
    https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/review-hornady-300-prc/358208

9. Newsshooter

When I bought them on sale it cost less than buying 800 pieces of new brass. :D I should probably try them in the semi, just a bit shorter and less speed, easier to tune.

10. Phl218

Phl218 .

:stupid:

7.62 and 0.45 >>> 5.56 and 9

11. Newsshooter

Except my .556 shoots 77's flatter than my .308 with 175's out to 1K, hangs right with the CM to 600. It's also a bolt gun with an F class barrel and an 8 oz trigger. :)

12. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I like how somebody ask a simple question,and it turns into a brag fest.

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I loved mine, but if I had to get another 6.5 it would be Creedmoor.

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Have you tried Berger? I like ELDs, but I like Bergers better. Once my Hornadys are gone, I'll be switching.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There are three rounds that matter. 7.62 NATO, .45 and 12 gauge. Everything else is spanking it just to spank it. :D

Might add 7.62x39 but I ain't no kommie and I'm definitely not one of those rabid AK nutballs that roll out every time you mention how shitty those rifles actually. :D

16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Don't forget .22's. It's what we all started on:D

stk0308 and Phl218 like this.
  17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, might give you that one. Never really liked plinking all that much until I tried a 10/22. Before shooting cans and targets with a .22 was like shaking my pee pee 10 or 12 times after throwing a wizz: Not all that bad but approaching playing with it. :D

18. Newsshooter

Yep I have several, built 10/22's for my nephews, teaching them PRS type shooting. They think it's normal to shoot steel chickens in the head at 200 meters with a .22. :D

blkduc and fastfreddie like this.
  19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

This man speaks truth.
    As for proper round "dispensers" they are the M60, 1911 (longslide and laser sight optional) and Remington 870.

Because everyone needs a pig, a pistol and a pump gun.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The Pig had issues (who is the retard that attaches a bipod to a replacement barrel? Not to mention the feed tray) but let the pig eat, it eats like a mother f@cker. :up:

Charlie don't surf! But he'll dance when the pig sings.