1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

500gp bikes.

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by cole, Jun 25, 2004.

1. charles

charles The Transporter

Yea, sure, there's people who can do all of what you ask for, but the question is: who's going to buy them, especially if they are only for the track?

2. YSRkid70NC

YSRkid70NC Banned

made for each order and racers will buy them

3. charles

charles The Transporter

Yes, I understand what you're saying here, but what racers,
    where, for what competitive classes, and for how much?
    You know full well that nobody will do this type of construction or manufacturing unless there is a profit to be made. At present,
    there isn't even a world championship available for 500cc 2-strokes. I don't see the factories going backwards now, since
    MotoGP was quite successful...best to get a modern 250, or an older TZ350/500/750, Suzuki RG500, etc, etc...you don't think, do ya, that a brand new 500 2-stroke would cost less???
    Anyway, appreciate your thoughts about it...

4. Bill Cole

Bill Cole Well-Known Member

Yea but kid how many.. they are selling a handfull of GP bikes in the states.. It would cost hundreeds of thousands of $$ to design and develop a one off race bike.. Remember it needs to also be VERY good. You would have to sell A LOT of bikes to just get your investment back.. Then you have parts networks and availability.. If it were that easy everyone would be doing it..

5. 12pointRacing

12pointRacing two-stroke potato peeler

...so just to add some new life to this thread, how about this:

One set of custom cases, one cassette type transmissions (ala TZ250, or Ducati where parts are available), and 4 YZ125/CR125/RM125 cylinders. V4 anyone?

Or, a CR250/RM/YZ vTwin instead ala an NSR-V?

Pipes can be made, tuning knowledge on those motors is everywhere, parts would be available if built off existing motors (except for the cases and possibly crank(s) )...

Now where was that link for that guy doing one-off GP replica frames? Here it is:

http://www.micoproducts.net/

[​IMG]

So what, I am dreaming a little here...but while it may be true that the money involved in motor development is terribly high, I do believe there is a market available. I simply think that a competitive 2-stroke platform that could race against the inline-4s is not readily available for a reasonable price point. Racers race to win. Build us a more competitive bike and we will race it - whether it be 2 or 4 strokes per power cycle.

Rocky has had some amazing motorcycles that can stomp 600SS machines in Chuck's hands - but which one of us mere mortals could keep the thing running much less purchase it in the fist place? Maybe it would simply take more of a "Challenge Bike" approach instead of a "GP Bike" approach, using more displacement and less efficiency?

I guess I am just dreaming - but I see less and less two-strokes roadracing, and I fear we have simply been watching evolution at work...

6. Bill Cole

How fast we forget the Honda NSR 500 available to the public. For a resonable 100k it didnt sell.. When the Roberts 500's came here in the mid 90's I think it scared the hell out the AMA. They banned them. I also think they see that 2 strokes and 4 strokes should not be on the track at the same time because of the totally differant riding style and power delivery..

7. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

bill,
    not sure if meant it was your opinion also, but some of the best racing ive seen has been two vs four.

8. 12pointRacing

How could I forget they were available!?!

Heck - there is a guy in Texas that has an vTwin NSR, and I hear through the grape vine he actually used to race it on a regular basis. $100k however is slightly outside my definition of "reasonable", but I would give my left arm to ride it once! :)

Also, I don't agree about the "2 vs 4 lines" being a problem. If I wanted 4stroke power delivery and handling, I would race my Supersport bike. I don't - and some of the most entertaining racing I have ever had is my TZ250 versus lackluster 600SS bikes.

And although I tend to steer clear of AMA discussions - in this regards, I say screw the AMA. If you race a two-stroke, you do it in defiance of the AMA. If there were a 500cc bike to race, it wouldn't be racing in the AMA just like the fact that the 125 and the 250cc bikes are not there either. This is exact niche that USGPRU fills, as well as the regional organizations to some extent. Many club organizations have classes that allow almost anything - that is where a 500 would race, not in the AMA.

Don't take me the wrong way - I am not suggesting club racers can pay the bills and that the AMA is not needed if you wanted to actually become an OEM. I am thinking small, not big. Look at in my previous post - I don't think that guy made that replica GP bike to race in the AMA. I think he made it for a handful of enthusiasts; for enthusiasts that will pay slightly more for something original, but still not break the bank. The only thing that is missing is an updated 500-700cc motor. RZ500 parts are getting harder and harder to find...

9. Bill Cole

My comments are only based on my personal experiance. I will not ride my 125 with an SV on the track. No way. To many up their a$$ going into a turn and to many close ones getting run over comming out. I do not think it is a good mix at any level.

10. ism409

ism409 Well-Known Member

11. Bill Cole

How much more do I have to go to meet the reserve..

12. 12pointRacing

13. 12pointRacing

And, keeping this thread alive once again...{:)

Maybe I can get Rocky to chime in here seeing as he has got to read the two-stroke section still (its in his blood!)

Rocky, what is it like to ride a real 500? You had a ROC Yamaha, right??

Can you compare the power or motor characteristics to anything we can all relate to?

How about chassis - are they as stiff as we are led to believe???

-dave

14. Bill Cole

Yea.. Hey Rocky.. You promised me a ride on that ROC remember... I am ready to call you on it.. Let me know where to be and when.. And please have new tires on it.. Your a pal.. thanks!!

15. 12pointRacing

Can I come too??

:)

16. Bill Cole

Its a long story.. Real long and painful.. Lets just say Rocky and I had a very interesting Sunday about 4 years ago..

17. 12pointRacing

Aren't most tales that involve two-strokes long and painful? :)

18. Bill Cole

I think all the tales of motorcycles are painful... 2 stroke stories are also expensive and painful..

19. 12pointRacing

HA! Well said. :)

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm not Rocky but. . .

Before you die beg, borrow or steal a ride on a well tuned V4 500cc 2 stroke. It's a mixture of terror, sheer acceleration and plain insanity.

They do damn near everything extremely fast (steer, accelerate, wheelie. . .).