5.0 coyote vs 3.5 eco-boost turbo

Discussion in 'General' started by Rico888, Aug 30, 2023.

1. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

I'm meticulous about oil change intervals, oil quality etc. However there is ZERO chance I'm checking the oil at every fill up. I'll check it before a long trip, but otherwise it's oil changes only. If any vehicle I own burns enough oil to be problem, the engine was trash anyway.

brex and MELK-MAN like this.
  2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

2100mi towing 2k+ lbs in a 6x10 enclosed trailer with my 4XE Jeep's 2.5L turbo four cylinder in 100F temps for half the trip. Towed fine, never set adaptive cruise higher than 65mph just to be kinder on the rig, got 14mpg over the trip. Started with a fresh oil change (dealer overfilled, tech was not happy I checked...) and it doesn't appear to have burned a drop so far. Motor got a solid workout, ranging between 8th gear at just under 2k RPM to 5th at 3600 RPM, sometimes 4th on big climbs but never showed more than 215F water temp, 198F trans temp.

3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Amazing commentary on checking oil here

I can't imagine making a car into a 20k repair job, depreciating the shit outta it, and ruining my trip miles and miles from home, because I didn't have 3 minutes to spare once a week.

Do you wait unit your tires are off the rim also ?

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

To be clear, I've been checking tires / oil and monitoring gauges the whole trip, and I'm usually pretty good about that in general. I've been spoiled by my last few cars though, they just haven't used oil, vs my 2000 Subaru Forester that ate it like candy.

5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

didnt mean that one for you, sorry

6. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I just sold my 2015 F150 with the 5.0. Bought brand new. Almost 120K trouble-free miles both normal driving and towing up to 8,500 lbs.

IMHO it was the best all-around 1/2 ton truck motor and overall ownership satisfaction I've ever experienced.

2015 Ford F150 2wd Sport | 13x Forums

MELK-MAN likes this.
  7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

No silly, I wait until they look like slicks or the steel cords are showing.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Even on the bus?

Boman Forklift likes this.
  9. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

@bluebandit2g My 2020 is the very same way!! But it's funny, cause it's only like that after it's been sitting a while. Like first thing in the morning and/or after it's been sitting in a parking lot for a few hours and the drivetrain is cold.

10. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

@TurboBlew I feel very personally attacked by this statement.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

there is a drama free zone between these parenthesis ------> ( innocuous safe space ) :Poke::flag: You'll be ok if you check the engine oil level once in awhile :rtfrb:

ClemsonsR6 likes this.
  12. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

please...equal truck to equal truck, 3.5 / 2.7 / 5.0 for times and to be honest, dont' mean shit as they are all fairly close. You keep on thinking you got some sort of rocket ship...it's a suv with a baby bed. Exhaust and tune, it's still the same...not sure why you think otherwise...plenty of independent tests out there. Enjoy your egoboost SUV with a baby bed. Talk to me when you have an actual pickup truck.

Gee, I wonder why the egoboost crowd are always changing to the mustang intake? But hey, as you say, they are the exact same engine. LOL

13. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Toyota has had a few fails. but compared to ford? :D

VR45 Troll likes this.
  14. Boman Forklift

I don’t know is Ford worse Chevy and Chrysler or Stellant?

15. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

What are you smoking?
    No ecoboost f150 can take a mustang intake. Since the mustang ecoboost is 2.3 4 cyl that never came in the f150s.

Put the crack pipe down. The f150 coyote guys swap to the 18+ manifold as it flows better everywhere, especially up top compared to the f150 manifold

16. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

We see the most failures with Ford. By a good margin. New Chevy not much better.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  17. Boman Forklift

Surprisingly, you are slowly turning me into a dodge(Stellant) man. I’m thinking the next time I buy a work van, that’s probably what I will go with. I have a few Fords and Chevy’s now. Had a great Isuzu too, until California outlawed the commercial diesel older than 2012.

I would say the Isuzu box van I liked the best.

cav115 likes this.
  18. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

You might try a reading comprehension course...or maybe you've taken a few too many bumps to the head.:crackup:

19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

pretty sure ford sells more trucks than all the other mfgs combined.. could be wrong, but they sell lots more than anyone else i'm pretty sure, so that's a big reason there are "most failures", cause there's more of em out there ?

cav115 and AC1108 like this.
  20. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Typically they sell 50k-75k F-series every month. If there were major issues it would be very apparent.