1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4-stroke tech tips

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Diesel, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

In light of the 2-stroke tech string I thought some of us could get one going for four strokes.

So.... When I went to NFMP I put air in my tires....

... oh yea, I cleaned a glob of sticker glue off of my number plate....

... hey Liz, what have you had to do to your bike once you got to the track?

(just poking the hornet's nest :D)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2002
  2. GrantMLS

GrantMLS Well-Known Member

:D :D 2 stroke still rule! :cool:

3. STAN LIPERT

STAN LIPERT Well-Known Member

Hidden in the "blow-up"thread are my hard-learned tips for jetting four-strokes with modern clean-burning race fuels.My CB160 runs good on a test track with a HUGE range of mainjets,with clean plugs,only the dyno and gas analyzer told me what the correct jet was.

4. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Sorry, just got back from moving our daughter to grad school in Philly.

Well lets see, What do I have to do to the bike at the track?
    (I removed the bugs before I went to the track)

1. As you stated, check the air pressure.
    2. Add fuel 2 or 3 times. (you get alot of laps with a 4 stroke)
    3. Remove the trophys from the seat before I load it on the truck... :D

5. lizard84

Kind of makes sense....

2 stroke tech tips in a thread called "It blowed up, sir"

Matt P tells me he's going to spank my ass at Nelson if he doesn't blow it or wad it at VIR :rolleyes:

So what happened at VIR? Hopefully no blowing or wadding took place.

6. lizard84

I don't get alot of dyno runs so my stop watch has to do triple duty as a watch, dyno & analyzer.

7. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Re: Kind of makes sense....

Turn out was on the med-light side. Roper, Bucky Sexton, Rich lucas, Eric Cook, Morrison, Mahanes, Steve Shoul and I all won races. (I might have missed a few) There weren't many crashes. I know I saw one bike down in t7 in the first race, I think it was a honda 350. WERA kinda made a bad call, red flaggin the last solo 16 for some sprinkles, declaring it a "wet" race, giving everyone 20mins to change their tires, giving everyone ANOTHER 20 mins to change their tires back as the track was now dry. All that was left on the schedual after that race was the last vintage race. Racers sure have it nice these days. I've lost track of how many times I've had to run in the rain on slicks because of a sudden shower and I've only been racing since '95. But hey, we all make mistakes and this one ceartainly didn't kill anyone or anything. It was just a bit ridiculous and annoying.
    Bob, you(and a lot of other people) should definitely make it out to vir sometime. Of course I'm it's biggest fan because it's hardly over an hours drive for me, but it really is the best track I've raced on on the east coast. 1 short straight, 1 long straight and 17(numbered, theres actually more) turns.

8. lizard84

Re: Re: Kind of makes sense....

Good job!! My first look at VIR was watching the AMA races, looks like fun track. :)

I'm there for next year... I look forward to meeting everyone & learning the new or in VIR's case, the reborn tracks. I'm also up for a glass of wine in between Corona breaks...

I hope we can have a vintage round at Beaver Run next year, If it happens the vintage crowd should give it a look. Very high grin factor :cool:

9. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

If we run it, I'll go. I LOVE learning new tracks! This year was a banner year, as I got to learn NPR, NFMP and I'll be heading out to texas next month to learn that one too. I feel that every time I learn a new track, I bring something new to all of the tracks that I already know. I was considering checking out your fav, the sledges,(just to see what everyones always bitching about)but I hear that they've actually put some new asphalt down. If I went, I'd want to experience the track at its legedary worst!:D Oh well, at least the bathrooms can't be improved!

10. iph

iph Well-Known Member

same applys to both:

some 4 strokes got squesh band , if you run a big bore you have one by default so you set the squish clearance and compresion just like a 2 stroke

insulate the header by ceramic cloth on both to improve exhaust speed flow

lightening all moving part , machine and knife edge the crank , drill and taper bore inside the camshaft ,taper bore piston pin ,lighten or remove the magnito (run total lose) to make it rev as fast as two stroke

modern 4strokes such as FZR400 with open carb and pipe are as sensetive to jetting as a RD350 , too rich and they cut off at top , too lean and it burn a valve or even piston just like RD

11. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Ever been to Florida? I got some land you might want to buy... :p

12. triumphman

triumphman Well-Known Member

Well,I have some work to do to my 4-stroke.The throttle stuck at NF in the rain and spit me off and layed on the ground wide FO untill I could run over and kill it.Did it hurt that tuff old 4-stroke,hell no just my pride.See you at Roabling & VIR:)