1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

350gp class question

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Tinfoil hat charly, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

looks like stock engined cb350 are competitive in this class: i [sort] of know how to build a v1 legal maximum hp cb350 engine, but building a stock cb350 race engine must be a little more subtle. has anyone done this, and what did you have to do?

2. push rod

push rod Well-Known Member

hmmmm

I guess I need an sanity check...what's subtle about not changing anything?

or did you mean how do I change things without getting caught.

3. Tinfoil hat charly

hey--i read smokey's book " sex lies and superspeedways" seriously, the rules don't say you can't change anything, in fact, the rules give you a list of things you can specifically change.....

4. racertex

racertex vintage dude

charley,

here are the things that i did to my bike years back. i have had a lot of fun and won a race or two with this setup.

powerplant: get 4th over pistons, find a K zero cam and rockers, ka cam chain tensioner, rebuild carbs with keyster kit, find some aluminum velosity stacks, add VP U4 fuel, remove starter, install dyna s ignition or pvl (so you can lose the battery), and lighter headers. buff harsh @ todd henning racing can supply you with most or all of this stuff ('cept the fuel).

suspension: install a set of 35mm forks, works or performance adjustable shocks

wheels and brakes: find a good 230mm 2LS front brake, use the stock rear wheel, have them laced to aluminum shouldered rims, run dunlops or avons (dunlops are lighter but also a pain to get).

chassis: grind off any useless tabs, source a fiberglass or aluminum gastank, get a fairing and big bubble, glass bellypan, and steering damper.

this is the formula for a very fast and competitve machine. you'll never beat a well prepared 350 ducati single or david roper, but you will have fun chasing and racing the rest of us cb350 riders.

best,

tex mawby, cb350 stocker

5. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

Tex- what happened to your V1 project? :rolleyes:

6. racertex

racertex vintage dude

buff,

the usual excuses.....

at the time i was finishing my history and english degree; so papers due and exams to study for caused time to get in the way.

after graduation; i had no job, so money got in the way.

this past summer; i got a job delivering ice cream (12 hour days) and had lots of money but time snuck back in the way.

then i got married; so money got in the way of motorcycles big time.....i sold five bikes to finance that!

i got a new job; selling ice cream and fixing the house we just agreed to purchase, so time and money are gonna get in the way again.

the good news is that my shop space just tripled to 700 sqaure feet, and i just sold three more bikes on ebay so i got fewer things to occupy my time and workbenches.

i still need to buy my carbs off of you. i see that happening sometime late spring. i got your number, so i'll give you a call when i get a little closer. trust me, i wanna get it done and on the track so i can chase some faster guys around.

best,

tex

7. joec

joec brace yourself

tex is right. toss the stock brake. look for either a t500 drum or a cb450 drum. i really liked the 450 brake. worked great and never faded. use 35mm fork tubes. cb550 or 750. the 750ss forks have a longer sliders. but theyre a little harder to find. the brake will bolt right up but it'll need some spacers. seriously dont waste your time with a stock cb350 drum.

run the k0 cam if you can find one. and the rockers. if you can get a head, thats great too. you need both the cam and rockers though. the dunlops are the bomb. pull the starter motor and block the hole up. honda made a blockoff plug. i think buff sells them that go in under the flywheel cover. shave the frame as much as you can. matt tanner makes tanks and glass for the 350. find him over at the caferacer.net board. hes a righteous dude. rebuild your carbs. run a dyna on the crank. but if youre just starting points will be fine.

you cant do any metal removal from the intake or exhaust tracks. no gearbox mods. pull the kick start shaft, but thats it. the motor has to have i believe stock oem parts or stock spec parts. (?). you can run the slipper chain tensioner in place of the roller wheels. but the roller wheels will work to start. no messing with the crank. you can 1mm over with stock oem pistons.

get good shocks.

jc

8. joec

joec brace yourself

oh yeah, stock carbs only!

9. push rod

push rod Well-Known Member

My bad, I thought stock engine meant stock, not aftermarket ignition, headers and stacks...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  10. racertex

racertex vintage dude

jesse,

it's all in the rulebook. look above where it outlaws triumphs from competition at summit in 500gp.

reading is fundamental.

texy

11. phantom 309

phantom 309 Well-Known Member

Tex,just read on rr world site that no oxaginated (sp) fuels for NIS this year so better get her tuned up on sunoco.:up:

12. racertex

racertex vintage dude

tim,

what is nis? (new hampshire international speedway?)

tex

13. phantom 309

:up:

14. videojack

videojack Racing for Therapy

Kick Shaft filler

So what is the trick plug to fill the hole after removing the kicker shaft?

15. racertex

racertex vintage dude

good info tim. i'll make sure to pass that on to my fellow uscra'ers! we love that U4 stuff.

peace,

tex

16. Tinfoil hat charly

the 2007 rules seem to now allow kickstarters to remain...wouldn't this be an advantage--being able to kick start your race bike instead of keeping your [heavy]electric starter, running and bumping, rollers, etc?

17. racertex

racertex vintage dude

i guess, but the cb350 bumps so easily. i never used rollers and the starter was the first thing i ditched.

wonder what tech would say?

tex

18. videojack

2007 Bike week Time Share $575, 7 days, 7 nights
    See the Wanted to Buy or Trade section of the website.
    Pass the word.
    Sorry for the interruption.

19. phantom 309

I love the power out put but can't seem to remember anything from the time I started useing it.:down: The fumes will kill ya in the van so I started to use a bumper carrier and the residue in the bike still drives me out.Now what kind of bike do I race ?:)

20. videojack

cb350 bumps so easily

I have to agree with tex. After push starting the Norton 750 with a team of guys, the 350 Honda can be bump started while straddling. Just use second gear.