1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2014 schedule????!!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by renegade17, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

The question is not how to compete with the track days, but how to bridge the gap between the two.

Perception of cost
    Perception of risk

If you are posting here, those do not matter to you because you have accepted the cost and risk as a part of racing. Track day riders with skills to advance to racing need to have those perceptions and barriers broken.

2. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

LOL You know you were like "Who the F$$k is this Kid" after that race! :p

3. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I think the gap between trackdays and racing is the same as bike night and trackdays. Some people you just cant reach. Most trackday peeps have the same level of equipment or higher than racers, they just dont have the same equipment between the ears. There are plenty of racers out racing non-broome level (no offense Chris I like parts too) stuff and having fun and placing well. Trackdays make it easy to get 80% of the thrill of racing for a fraction of the cost, and for some one that has never seen the red mist, that is good enough for their youtube channel. As for me I want to race, I will hit up a trackday here and there for race prep of course I run my mouth about racing to everyone I can.

4. Silo Pete

Which is another point. Stewardship.

To the schedule, all of us agree that there is not magic bullet that will cure the ills of low grids. But it will be a combination of changes, while painful, will hopefully draw in new riders to the sport.

5. That is a valid point. People who havent done many track days or havent done some in recent years wouldnt believe some of the rigs and bikes that roll in. Their decision not to race isnt a matter of finances.

6. A good friend and wise man once said "you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette".

:D

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

:crackup: Well why rider would love to do it, I just don't have enough cash to pull it off for him.

8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Endurance guys have a much better comeback to that question...

Maybe Pete is right (doubt it..), I do find it funny that his plan kind of ignores small bikes and vintage when that's pretty much what he's always raced. Either way, big gamble for WERA to make such wholesale changes and giving away business that's (seemingly) pretty solid. I started with AHRMA and had a great experience doing so, but I think it's a stretch to assume they are better at running vintage racing just because that's all they do.

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Back on topic...yes- please come back to MidOH and please continue to run as many endurance rounds as possible.

10. Silo Pete

I'm just saying that even if AHRMA is not running a great program (which I am not implying), what I am saying is their strength is vintage racing with some modern stuff in there. Let them have vintage.

If you are upset about losing ESS you can still have that on the weekends. :)

Still have the Morwaki classes.

I love small bikes. Just consoliate the classes. All the modern V stuff has a class (D, Clubman, etc), so they still have a race. You have F2. You have LWT's. So it's not like we've nuked them or ignored them.

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

For a big guy who's not really nice, he sure is when it comes to giving every bike a place to race. :D

I'm not getting sucked into this topic again, but I agree with several of Pete's points. Consolidation, breaking some eggs, etc. We're probably going to skip Nelson next year and replace it with another event - not because of the place (we love it), but because people simply don't go there anymore. Change is scary, but like someone said, you risk losing X, but also gaining XX. I like the idea of change/evolving during these times. Then again, I don't own the company.

Damn, I got sucked in again.

12. Silo Pete

Eddie's paying me to post up. Payment is a slightly used R6.
    :)

13. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I'm still OD'd on caffeine from work last night, so bear with me here:

Saturday:

1a. Sportbike Track Time Rookie Challenge
    2-4. LW, MW, HW Solo Races (big trophy at season's end for top 3 overall in each class. No trophies per race.)

Sunday:

1a. Sportbike Track Time Rookie Challenge
    1. Lightweight Superstock & Sportsman (SV's, 250's, 125's, 450's, Morwaki, Hawk, etc.)
    2. 600 Superstock
    3. 1000 Superstock
    4. Lightweight Superbike & Sportsman (SV's, 250's, 125's, 450's, Morwaki, Hawk, etc.)
    5. 600 Superbike
    6. 1000 Superbike

(repeat 1-6 / double-header format, for 12 races on Sunday; break into Ex/Nov as needed)

- 750's go into 1000 classes.
    - Senior SBK runs grids separate somewhere in there.
    - Everyone still gets their races. Simple, clean, no confusion. Easy for people to recognize and sponsors to provide money to.

Crazy right? Mind-blown Pete?

14. Silo Pete

How many laps? Mind blown? No. :D

15. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

Its gotta be residual Zip Fizz. - Yes, how many laps? I like the STT Rookies Challenge idea.

16. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

How about three or so round mini endurance series in place of the solo twenty on the single sprint weekend? Starts at 12:30 ends at 3:30 or so. Apply some single rider rules for safety, allow a relay (multiple bike format) so everyone can dial in their own if needed, and lets race. LW,MW,HW trophies at the end of the season. I bet I know a group of goons that would sign up tomorrow for it. North Central could be the test bed. Pete can bring his gang, we can get bikes figured out, and then BBQ afterwards. Let me know, I will start putting all these spares together tonight. :beer:

17. joeyg

joeyg Well-Known Member

I know this isn't a rule change thread but with the above mention of removal of the SS class.... How about we just match the AMA rules.... I am planning on doing a round with them next year and don't want to have to change a key part in and out of the bike..... Slipper clutch... Lol come on mang!

18. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

I like the Rookies Challenge idea! to pull in new racers. I also think the Ninja 250 rentals are a great way to get track buddies to come try racing, maybe there is a way to promote that too.

But, back on topic, do you know yet if the first Fontana round be January 4-5? Or the next weekend...? Work stuff is starting to schedule for next year and I gotta make sure it doesn't interfere with racing! :)

19. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

No offense fellas but go race AMA. That sucks balls anyways rather than triying to convert WERA into AMA. Or just run the Nationals even like Pete said with the 30 day thing.

A production class is a good idea. Complete Production. Even exhaust. Why? Because unlike what Pete said that means OEM exhaust they are dirt cheap. Hell I can't give those fucking things away much less charge alot for it.

What was mentioned by Chris was true. Increase your laps to 10... Then give it National prices.... You just make it a really shity trackday with 2 practices with 2-20 lap races. Shit value.

As far as nuking Vintage. They aren't getting in the way now and you guys aren't racing any more races. Nuke the BSS/BSK and make it production. Eve and Sean have the data and know what their returns are on Double Headers and Vintages/Solo days.

Overall I think WERA is appealing to a wide range of people and doing a great job accross the board. But I agree, even though I don't race the BSS and BSK Nuke em and put in Production.

But also would be good to have to agree with teaming up with a TD org.

20. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Funny you should mention the production class thing: back in 1990 (I believe) I won the SE 600 production Expert championship on my FZR 600. Tires (no slicks), a shock and fork springs were all that was allowed. Gas her up and go!
    Why production? The FZR was top dog in '89 but as soon as the Honda F2s hit the track we were dead meat. I believe this was the last year the production class was run. I have the championship framed and in the garage today.

I believe the intention of the ESS class was to be more production based. Oh well.....