$200K to conservatively invest... Yes real question.

Discussion in 'General' started by cajun636, Sep 29, 2016.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I posted before I read this.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That is probably all true. I will say ever since I was a kid and my dad had a 914, I always thought they were going to shoot up. Unfortunately, I sold my old 911 and 930 turbo a few years too soon. LOLOLOL

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Have you seen the prices lately on 930s? Really crazy.

4. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

kangasj likes this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Yes, it made me cry. I was reading my autoweek and they said the one I had would be worth 200-300K, but I don't really believe that. Mine is probably less desirable because it had an all steel BB slantnose. They did a lot of customization's in Germany and it was the real deal. I would probably want a stocker if I got another one.

But in actuality, my 1979 911SC and the 930 turbo were less fun to drive than the 95 M3 we owned. I liked that car enough I decided to sell the 930 in the late 90's. I think I would rather get a 997 turbo.

6. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

It just can't be that easy....

XFBO likes this.
  7. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

It can be. Investing is not rocket science. Most people think it is...because they don't actually invest any money.

BigBird and cajun636 like this.
  8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

You're right. You could also lose all or most of your investment.

418 and cajun636 like this.
  9. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Oh and for the record, I don't have shit. It's not my money, so don't yall go try and bum money from me. all my money goes to my bikes. Reference the super cheap thread for any questions regarding how broke I actually am lol.

10. kangasj

kangasj Banned

No effin way would I put it in the market. This huge bubble is gonna pop. Other than that I have no advice. Good luck and invest wisely.

XFBO and motion like this.
  11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Ahhhhwell.... looks like they are already $300+ for nice models. I sold mine for $192K a few years ago. They'll probably be worth $500+ at some point in the not too distant future.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Then you need to invest heavily in the Rocko Sluggo school of carburetor maintenance.

cajun636 likes this.
  13. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Mongo I would be interested in speaking with your investment person. If I can get results near that I am back in racing in a pretty big way

14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

10% per year, or 10% over 10 years? Either way, a few blue chip stocks and conservative mutual funds should easily work. I'd first make sure I was maximizing any 401K and IRA's available

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

As a cop, you probably have some city/state version of a 401K- if they match contributions take full advantage of that first.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Email me. As I said, he won't guarantee it, and it'll depend on your willingness to risk and so on. I've given up on retiring so my stuff is medium to medium high risk. Boss has hers all conservative.

17. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

it's not timing the market, it's time IN the market.

Dragginass likes this.
  18. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

How do I go about getting this email address
    out finding

19. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Right? A little over 10 years ago, I had two. I also had an E30 325is that I liked the motor in way more, so I sold both of the Ms. I'm a very, very stupid person. I should have put one in the garage.

20. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I'll second the low-fee index funds. Maybe not for the total sum, but for at least half of it.

If you look over 15-20 years, very few investments outperform the S&P500, especially when you take fees into account.

There are index funds that track the S&P500 and have very low fees. They have farily low risk, so won't return 10% each year, but you will beat inflation, as well as make gains.

As for individual investments - stocks, houses, cars, etc. Only invest if you really understand the product you are investing in, and it's future value. Anything else is both speculative, and very risky.

cajun636 likes this.