1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 part question

Discussion in 'General' started by mineshaved, Feb 19, 2010.

1. mineshaved

mineshaved product of my enviroment

I understand the concept of modulating the clutch (i think). What I dont understand is when having to downshift a couple times, how do you do this with enough time before turn in? Im guessing when you modulate the clutch your letting it out slower...?
    Next question is rearsets. I have a 04 gsxr 600 with stock rearsets. Other than aftermarket being adjustable and gaining ground clearance what am I gaining? As of know I'm not having problems with ground clearance but am curious if they could help me in any way. Thanks for any help!!

2. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

If you don't have a slipper clutch, you blip the throttle and pull the clutch in and drop a gear, you do this for each gear while braking, it takes practice or if you only have to drop 2 gears, you can simply blip and drop 2 gears, then let the clutch out, the back end will chatter a bit but no biggie. I don't have a slipper clutch but I think you just drop gears without blipping.

As for rear sets, the reasons for running aftermarket ones are they are stronger, cheap to fix over OE stuff and move your leg position so your feet are usually higher up and further back.

3. mineshaved

I never knew people would drop 2 gears without letting the clutch out both times. What's the benefit of my feet being up and back? Thanks again for your help!!

4. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

You can do more than 2 gears at a time...

A big benefit of rearsets is the replacement parts... they are generally more modular thatn the stock one, so replacing a peg is much easier. Since they have solid pegs it acts as a slider also to help keep the bike from grinding into the pavement.

5. mineshaved

Ok sounds good looks like I have some things to work on. Thanks again :)

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I found that having my feet up and back with aftermarket rearsets helped keep me from sliding back in the seat under hard acceleration. I went from the stock seat to a superbike tail with 3/8" foam at the same time, so that may have been part of it too. This may be more noticeable my liter bike than with your 600. Some say the solid mounted (aftermarket) vs. folding (stock) pegs help them feel more connected to the motorcycle as well.

7. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

My personal technique for downshifting is to use the clutch release in harmony with the front brake.

When I get to my brake marker, I go for the front brake and at the same time, I immediately start my downshifts. There is never really a time that I am coasting with the clutch released unless its a short section where I can't get a upshift in.

I'll downshift more rapidly than the wheel speed can handle but here is the tricky part. I release the clutch at a rate to match the motor and wheel speed all the while braking.

Lets say I am in 4th and the corner coming up has a second gear drive out. I hit the brake marker, downshift through third and then second pretty quickly. If I dumped the clutch, I would wag all over the track so I don't dump it, I drag it out and sometimes even slightly pull it in again to capture more corner speed or stabilize the RPM to wheel speed. The point at which I release the clutch fully is almost at apex where I just start throttling up again.

The huge benefit to me when doing this is that the chassis stays really stable from brake marker to exit.

HTH?

Bernie

8. mineshaved

Razor sounds like your manually making your slipper clutch. Definitely need some practice!! Thanks

9. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

what ever happened to learning the proper technique of blipping? Now with slippers, people can get away without, but there are still times when I find it necessary.

Razors technique sounds just freaky to me, but to each their own.

10. mineshaved

Hey goodmatt I think I met you last year at a open trackday at beaver. Metrics private day. Anyhow Im thinking I'm going to get my downshift while braking skills up to par. Do you downshift twice before letting the clutch out, or one downshift per clutch release?

11. goodmatt78

Hey man....yeah, I remember you. I DS once per clutch pull. I have experimented with multiple downshifts with the clutch pulled in, but on my GSXRs I seem to miss a downshift more often than not. Some trannys may downshift and engage each gear in a more positive manner, but GSXRs seem to need to be loaded (i.e. clutch released).

I feel much more confident engaging each gear vs. "hoping" to be in say 2nd or 3rd for a corner.

12. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

click two and back it in, don't forget the rear brake exist and can help calm the double DS to a min and keep the back end slide more controllable while keeping the chassis calm, alot of people grab front brakes and load the front end with body weight transfer into the clip-ons, grip the tank with your legs and take weight off your arms while DS and the rear end will be more planted/predictable

13. mineshaved

Goodmatt....Cool. I'm leaning towards the same thing. That's what I have been doing, but need to get better. I always have to let go of the brake when I downshift. Probably not the best method. Thanks for your help!!

14. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

wait till you find your self double ds with one clutch pull while trail braking.

15. goodmatt78

Once you learn to blip while braking it becomes 2nd nature. When I started TDs, I practiced all the time on the street bike while commuting. If you can do it while lightly braking and not pulse the brake lever, then it is way easier to do while braking hard.

When I started racing cars, it was exactly the same issue to learn to heel toe downshift....just takes practice. Ya gotta learn to walk first....

16. goodmatt78

One other issue with multiple downshifts at once, is the the ability to over-rev the engine. This is the only time this is possible. If you downshift 1 gear at a time, it is easier to keep your engine from going boom.

17. mineshaved

Sounds good.. :)

18. Wheeliest

Wheeliest ʍɥǝǝןıǝsʇ

I find mind self letting the clutch out a lot slower to aviod over reving.

19. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  20. goodmatt78

Okay, that technique makes sense and isn't what I expected from your description. I thought you pulled in the clutch fully one time and just free-wheeled to the apex until you feathered out the clutch 1 time.....now that would be freaky!

cool vids btw.