1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

02-03' Shock options

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Abiagi, May 15, 2014.

1. Abiagi

Abiagi Well-Known Member

02-03' R1 Shock options

So my current shock is a bit worn out and I'm considering my options.

Couple of questions.
    1.Has anyone had any luck with having their stock shock revalved and resprung?
    2.Are there other year shocks (i.e.-newer), that will fit the 5PW without modification?

Alternatively I've considered picking up an aftermarket shock, but considering most of my riding is on the road/commuting it's hard to justify the cost. I've been keeping my eye open for a decent used unit, but i'll probably still have to service and re-spring.

Any feedback appreciated.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I had my stock 03 R1 shock re-sprung and re-valved. Good enough for intermediate pace at track days and fine for the street as well. When it came time for the first service after that I went aftermarket (Elka triple) as servicing costs are less on the aftermarket shocks and it works much better at advanced track day pace.

As far as I know, no other shock will fit the nearly forgotten in all respects 02-03 R1's.

3. Abiagi

Abiagi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback 2blueYam. It's hard for me to think of shelling out the money for a top quality shock when I'll never likely push the bike hard enough on the street to justify it.

I'd still like to know if anyone else knows if another year will fit.

and sorry all for not putting the model in the title!I'll see if the mods can correct it.