1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Range Shooting Rifle Options

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Oct 20, 2016.

1. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

375 Rugers are a beast, recoil is much sharper than a H&H IMO. I believe I can pull off an African hunt for less money than an Alaskan one but that remains to be seen, honestly I spent 18 months in Alaska and I absolutely loved it but that’s also the reason that Africa has more appeal. I want the 375 H&H for a variety of reasons but more than anything I want some experience shooting off sticks here at home with a 375 before the hunt. I don’t even have to worry about the red tape of taking my own rifles, the outfitter supplies rifles with premium optics included in the package.

2. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

What are planning to hunt in Africa with a 375?

3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Last rifle? Does not compute.

MachineR1 and lizard84 like this.
  4. lizard84

Cape Buffalo

5. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

for the sticks:

https://javelinbipod.com/collections/tripod-heads-mounts/products/davros-head

adaptor for the rifle:

https://javelinbipod.com/collections/adapters/products/classic-rifle-adapter

magnetic, super easy, and the rifle locks in at the same spot every time....way more stable than just resting it in the V and dramatically cuts down on the reticle dancing (it'll still dance)....I also have their CF bi pod that I keep in my pocket in case Im in a truck (standing in the bed and set up on the roof or standing next to it and set up on the hood).....set the sticks up in a room in your house with a window and then range your anticipated distances and dry fire...ALOT....way more effective than starting out shooting big calibers off of sticks....and way cheaper....especially when you're figuring out what height you like, where to place your hands ect.

Red tape is not bad at all to bring your own rifle (Ive usually brought a min of two), the outfit should have it down to a science....considering what you're hunting, I'd personally want my own rifle that I would know inside and out and have a fair amount of rounds through but no doubt they have good gear that works.

Also, practice shooting off hand and quickly....they rarely drop with the first shot (even perfect vital shots) and can usually close the distances you're shooting from before they're dead....and there will be alot of bad intentions if they do break in your direction.

If you do bring your own guns and hunt other stuff, 6.5CM is great for impalas and smaller, everything else that's bigger Red Hartebeests, Water Bucks, Kudu, Nyala, Gemsbok, Wildebeests, Zebra .300 win works great and Sig Sauer 165 all copper bullets are fucking devastating. Also use a .300 Win on warthogs....if you dont like snakes (especially the ones they have in those areas) go in our summer (their winter).

Enjoy!!!

lizard84 likes this.
  6. lizard84

Great advice, I’m told I’ll most likely be using Rudolph quad shooting sticks so I’m going to acquire a set and practice with them.

7. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

I am so bummed with what Ontario Canada did during covid. they took all the non residents (even property owners) DIY experiences for Moose and Bear away. Now to hunt either, you must go through an outfitter. The first year we owned our vacation home (2015) I could buy cow/calf tags across the counter, or go into the open draw for a bull tag for less than 500.00, Bear was 275.00. Now bears are 18-2500 hunts, and Moose is close to 10,000. I cant party hunt with my friends, nothing. I wished I would have made the time, pre-change for moose, now it really is out of my price range. They tease me relentlessly too, I see them regularly. The outfitters wont sell tags only, as they are afraid you wont be successful, and if they are not, they are not allocated as many tags. Many "sell" their tags not used by paying clients for friends, relatives due to the tags being so hard to get. The public draw in our area is less than 40 tags. For reference our community is about 900 people... I have been lusting after a big whitetail hunt but, by the time you pay a well know on the up and up guide service, you might as well go to a high fence larger hunt operation (Applecreek Outfitters in Wisc is 1500 acres), and really have the opportunity to choose your lifetime trophy. I am having a hard time with the high fence stigma but, the aforementioned place is 1500 acres so, basically a well regulated "free range" wild experience, which does intrigue me. Ski

8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

If I recall correctly, I was reading that Maine has something similar with all or a portion of their tags/lottery.

9. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

Went shooting for the first time in a while this afternoon. Still improving, but multiple groups under an inch. Multiples under 0.75 actually. Last group I shot was my first ever sub 0.5" five shot group.

Messenger_creation_9d3e6002-d02a-4ae3-a99e-4ba195697674.jpeg

I think this type of grouping and even smaller will become the norm as I improve.
    I ordered an MK Machining single shot sled. It's nice to be able to single feed. Once I get consistent consistent at 100 I'll stretch things out further. I probably would've worked my way out to 400 today, but I was shooting multiple guns that guys from the neighborhood brought out.

PainfullySlow likes this.