1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road bicycle tires/ tubes

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Apr 3, 2024.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I’ve tried several brands, I feel like I’m getting flats every other ride.

Lately I’m using Continental tubes, they are not the greatest. Also the valves screw up sometimes and leak or won’t seal when you burp the tire after a ride.

right now I’m on Vittorio Pro, tires but they wear out quick. And I’m suspecting that’s why I get so many flats.

The tires that came on the bike (Specialized Venge) lasted 2,000 miles!

Any recommendations?

2. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

tubeless continental GP5000TR 32mm I'm on a Canyon ultimate. you can really nerd out on tires. there's even a site bicycle rolling resistance . com that's really goes deep on the whole bicycle tire madness.

3. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

I was on the Bontrager R3 last year on my Emonda, OE trek tubes and the roads I ride aren’t the best and I never had flats.

Gino230 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I haven't ridden road for years now, and while I liked the GP4000 and 5000 tires, I had switched to the gatorskins the last couple years and didn't have another puncture.
    I still see them on roadies locally, and people like them.

5. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I've been away from road riding for almost 5 years now so I don't know what is the latest. When I was riding alot I ended up on a Specialized Espoir Sport that was like concrete. They were heavy compared to some S works stuff I had or Continentals but I rarely got flats. I'm sure they have some updated version of that tire now. Another benefit of training on a heavy tire is if you switch them out for a fast group ride or race you will accelerate like a race bike on a crisp fall morning in first practice.

6. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I've got about 3,000 miles in the past 3 years on tubeless Continental GP5000TR's myself. Early on riding on 28mm's, because others convinced me they would roll better. They did, considering I was on Bontrager gravel tires at the time. Last 1,000 miles were on 32 mm's, which rolled equally as well but were a lot more comfortable on RAGBRAI '22, and after. I better knock on wood, because I'm about to jinx myself by telling you I've never had a flat in the past 3 years.
    Haven't been able to ride much this past year, with both knees worked on, but about to very soon.

One note about the Continentals though. Shops in the north Atlanta are no longer stocking them much, because consumers can buy them on-line for about the same price the shops pay for them. At least this is what I was told when I bought some 32's last year for my wife's mountain e-bikes.

7. Gino230

I’ll try these.

I feel like half of the brands have gone to shit, Amazon seems like it’s a race to the bottom with the shittiest possible products. I went through several sets of Gatorskins and gave up on those.

8. Gino230

Will he tubeless work on any rim?

9. Once a Wanker..

No, You have to have a 'tubeless-ready' rim. You'll have to check if yours are.
    Trek wheels have been since '20 or '21

10. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I used to get the most aggressive race tires in 700c x 23mm. When I finally understood I was never gonna race, I switched to 28mm and went with a bit more thread. I am so much more comfortable and I can ride even if it's wet. Did Michelins, Vittoria, now on Conti Gatorskins because I got them on sale. We'll see how they hold but so far I like them even if I feel a bit more resistance than my previous 25mm 2000 Grand Prix.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  11. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

They were decent tires with good wear, durability and grip. I put the Pirelli P-zero race tires on my new bike just cause I wanted to try them, when they are done I’ll most likely go back to the R3.

12. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Tubeless is THE way to go. The ride is much improved (can run lower pressure) and they are faster. Rim needs to be tubeless ready and then you need proper rim tape and a tubeless valve stem. Tubeless has saved my ass so many times both on road and gravel riding.

13. Once a Wanker..

@50Joe has ridden more miles than most of us have, combined. Discussion closed.

50Joe and TurboBlew like this.
  14. kirk erlinger

kirk erlinger Well-Known Member

Conti 5000s or Gatorbacks...just removed a rear that had 3000+ with no flatting. Trying a Michelin Pro (something) now.

15. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

I tried michelin pro, flatted a lot. Gatorskins are very heavy and high rolling resistance but are durable. Measure your internal rim with and get a tire based on that. Bigger is lower rolling resistance with less pressure. My internal rim width is 25mm. I ride 25 or 28 mm gp5000. Pretty durable and last decently. 3k out of a rear is good. I think 2k is good. I'm 180lbs and ride the front on 75-80psi and the rear on 85-95psi with tubes. Rarely to never flat There's a website out there with a tire size/psi/rider weight calculator for least rolling resistance. Higher psi is not better. Bigger (to an extent) tire with less psi is less rolling resistance and better flat protection.
    Dodge the big holes and sharp bridge transitions to avoid pinch pops.
    If you're just getting glass or metal punctures, lower psi with bigger tire will help. See what your rim width will take and go from the. A 25mm gp5000 is a little bigger than 25mm closer to 26-26.5 based on rim. They all vary in size just like motorbike tires.

16. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

My experience with tubeless is that it is truly amazing under 65psi. That may dictate what volume tire you roll. My big butt (still over 200 lbs) can't roll low pressure on 28s.

I'll never go back to tubes off road or on gravel. It's like rim brakes on a mountain bike... "Why did I EVER do that?!"

-Tom

TurboBlew, 50Joe and Mike Fennell like this.
  17. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I've been out of cycling a couple of years but i was a 215#'s when I was riding a lot. Normally 150 miles a week. I switched to a 25mm profile tire and ran the Vredestein Fortezza tires. I also ran these on our tandem. Rarely did I get flats. I found that riding while the roads were wet I was way more likely to get flats. I ran these 5 pounds under the maximum PSI which was 145psi if I remember correctly. Great grip and low rolling resistance.
    https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en...VpG1_AB29CgUeEAQYCCABEgLrhPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

18. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

50Joe likes this.
  19. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Michael Hausknecht likes this.
  20. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Need more information. Which bike and year ? What size tire will fit the bike ? You say Vittoria Pro? There's like 3 models. Corsa Speeds are a fast tire but they are fast cause they don't offer much puncture resistance.
    What wheel set? Is it tubeless ready? What pressures you running? You aren't pinching the tube on install? My current set up , tubeless , vittoria corsa pro tlr 28's , silca sealant ( 68 f , 72 r ). I punctured like 350 mile in on the new rear. Made a little mess, didn't know until we stopped. Cleaned the bike up and haven't touched it. Have about 850 miles on that tire now. If you want to run tubes, find some Conti 5000's with a latex vittoria tube. Best ride and good puncture resistance. Make sure its not a tubeless style tire and standard clincher. If you can go tubeless so far I'm liking the vittorias