1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road bicycle tires/ tubes

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Apr 3, 2024.

1. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I run tubeless on all my bikes but imo it's better suited to lower pressures applications like mtb. They barely seal at road pressures but I use it for the feel and speed, not the flats. fwiw, the constraint to tyre size/volume is the frame, optimized to a rim/wheel system, but dictated by the road surface. Smoother = lower vol/narrower, courser = higher vol/wider. And let's not talk about hookless.
    Also latex leaks so you'll be pumping up more regularly. Interestingly, gatorskins are so slow rolling it's still faster to use a regular performance tyre in an iron man and stop to fix the flats with the 6-8 minutes you'll be further up the road.

Gino230 likes this.
  2. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I went pretty wide w/ my road setup in part to avoid having to run high pressures.

I'm running 50 psi F&R on 30/32 GP5000S TR, but they measure out closer to 32/33 when mounted.

Pre-race footage of Paris-Roubaix showed MvdP ran about 51 psi on 32mm Vittorias, and he is a much bigger guy than me (although I'm probably fatter).

Before I went tubeless though, I had good experiences with Vittoria latex tubes (no flats), but maybe only a couple hundred miles since I split miles with a gravel bike.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  3. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

I'm sure he's a few psi higher when not on the cobbles and not 32's

4. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

No doubt, and narrower as well.

I'm looking at it from not pinch flatting perspective.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  5. knedragon29

If you get a pinch flat running tubeless you need a few more psi

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  6. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Well I'm right about 500 miles on this new setup and loving it. I got a power meter for my birthday, (Garmin pedals) and now I'm doing the deep dive into those metrics. It's interesting to watch all of my Garmin calculated metrics jump as soon as the power field was added, and I've only done one ride.

Does anyone do the FTP testing, or do you just let Garmin estimate and go with that? Keep in mind I'm not racing, just having fun and of course keeping track of lap times. :crackup:

7. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I do FTP tests with trainer road in the winter, it helps set the proper resistance for winter indoor zone training. Other than that, I don't much care about it when outside having fun riding any more.

8. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

A proper FTP test is fairly difficult to do, especially if you dont know where you should be power wise.
    Ive done the 20 min test on the trainer before, not as terrible.

If you have a power meter a FTP is good to know to be able to train at specific zones.

9. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

If you want to do an ftp test just prepare for it well. They're hell. But you have to go through the hell to get accurate results.
    I used the book "Time crunched cyclist" and the ftp test in that book isn't as much suffering as a 20 min ftp test. A 60 minute ftp test isn't really doable imo for an amateur like myself. You have to be mentally trained to endure it. You can do the tests indoors but will likely have lower results unless very motivated and you keep yourself cool with lots of fan and lots of motivation.
    The shorter time crunched cyclist test yielded me slightly higher estimated ftp but only a little over the 20 minute test.
    If you're going to train with power, an ftp is necessary to set your training zones. Meandering on the bike too high or too low doesn't get results. Most people's "feel" training is too high for cardiovascular results, but too low intensity for "threshold" training. This usually results in a fatigue result without much benefit to a specific system. We've been taught to train as hard as you can, but this isn't the correct approach for endurance based sports. "80/20" is another good book out there. Basically on a 1-5 zone scale, 80% endurance zone training(Z2) with 20% Z4&5. A schedule based on this allows for you not to need to waste days on recovery rides. Many coaches don't suggest recovery rides bc the athlete tends to ride too hard. Just rest on recovery days. 80/20 might look like 4 hours total Z2 + 2x30min sessions of threshold intervals. That 60mins equating to 20% of total training for week.
    That's low numbers but you get the basics.
    It you want the best and fasted endurance training results, I suggest a schedule and plan based on your goals.
    Don't use zwift training plans. I like Dylan Johnson on you tube. He breaks down a lot of things and has suggested schedules in his videos.

10. knedragon29

Ooooh Weeee , I hear a new weapon coming next ! PS- Bikes are always N+1 . The power meter pedals are a tool. You will get out of them what you put in. Ride with them some more and keep a eye on the numbers. I think Garmin keeps track of all that stuff each ride. Then dive in if you want. Like it was said above a true hour test would be murder. The 20 mins one is tough as well. Since the hips I just ride on road no power and watch my rouvy app when on the trainer some. I'm sure you are spinning for endurance. Makes things way easier on the track for sure. Get some long rides(1-2 hour) in when you have the time and you will see the difference on track.

11. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Garmin's FTP estimate is based on your hard efforts during rides. If you smash yourself on rides and do some solid 20-30min efforts, its estimate will be pretty close. If you never max-out like that, it's going to be more incorrect. It thinks my FTP is going down during training because all my long intervals are to a specific power, not all out.

The last time Garmin recommended I adjust my FTP setting was after my last race. I attacked the first 60min to get into a fast group and got close to power PRs. But the race was 7hrs long! I wasn't going at 100% for that effort because I had 6hrs left.

I'm doing an FTP this Saturday and expect to see a bigger number. Garmin will do 0.95*20min-power and I'll accept the new value.

Knowing your FTP isn't THAT useful. You can use it to decide power for long intervals, 12-30min range. But that makes up so little of your training. You don't need it for base training as that should be done off RPE. And you don't need it for short intervals like VO2Max as those should be all out.

brex likes this.
  12. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

I feel you probably have a lot of training miles under your belt, so don't take offense to any of this. Just opinions. Not trying to get in a piss match.
    While I agree that you don't necessarily NEED power for base training, most people initially train too hard before they research deep in to how to train. RPE will change with the weather. When it's hotter, perceived exertion will increase, while wattage does not. I find a solid zone 2 range helps in those situations. When it's cooler you may go too hard and when it's hot you may go too easy. Having tested zones for both hr and power allows you to reduce power to the lower area of the zone on hot days when hr is reaching the zone upper limit, and vice versa on cooler days. Wind, hills, speed, road surface all change rpe. I've ridden at 10mph on a road I'd normally be doing 20mph bc I was riding in to an extreme headwind. Without power metric I would've hammered in to it. It killed me mentally going that slow, but the target power was scheduled and the meter doesn't lie.
    If efficient training with maximum cardiovascular growth is the goal, power with HR I feel are the best metrics. If your hr climbs out of the target zone while power is on the lower end of zone, you know you're too fatigued for the training schedule. Or you may not be acclimated to the training environment.
    RPE definitely has a place and we shouldn't become laser focused on power unless you have a big race goal like you did. But if we have the tools, I definitely would be using them most of the time even if no race is scheduled.
    I wouldn't torque a cylinder head by feel when I have a calibrated torque wrench in the tool box.
    Spending hours on a solo training ride guessing if I'm at a good effort seems wasteful when the tool is there to monitor.