1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. S Tsotsoros

S Tsotsoros aka General Tso

You’re a little over an hour from me. I could easily make it out to the range at some point in the future. Provided you don’t mind me tagging along.

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Once I signed on as a landlocked “Seabee” of sorts, the Clarence chucks up a deeper check leading to delays now. I didn’t understand why I kept getting de laid, so met with some of the dog killers down the skreet to discuss it, and that was my given answer. I’d have assumed with Clarence, it would have made non issued private purchases faster, but nope :confused:

3. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

If your looking for your first of many cans to be multi use start with your largest rifle caliber. Look at warranties and ratings like max cal and full auto. Pm me your number if you want to chat. Like @StaccatoFan said it really comes down to personal needs. I’ve been affiliated with Silencer Shop for a few years and they have very good customer service and reviews. Also pew pew science is reported to have good reviews. It’s awesome your dealer got set up. It’ll work great for you and they will also really benefit

redtailracing likes this.
  4. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Huxwrx seems to be all the rage right now. I have Surefire & KAC but those are more for specific purpose. Never used a Huxwrx but if I was starting from scratch looking for an all purpose I'd probably go that route.

5. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

In the meantime, maybe try moving to a smaller caliber? Not sure what you're already using but if using a .30 of some sort, maybe move to 5.56 or something similar? Or put in work with .22. Can always also work on simply tightening up the groups.

I get it, sometimes just no substitute for actual distance. But maybe those things will help at least keep that range a little more interesting while you look for somewhere longer.

StaccatoFan and RonR like this.
  6. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I’m shooting mostly a .308 and my son is shooting 5.56. We both have Savage Axiss IIs with vortex 5x25x56 glass on them.

RonR likes this.
  7. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I agree. Not missing at 500 is awesome for anyone and for it to be a young man at that. You can take that achievement and focus on tighter groups to where your picking eyes, nose, gun hand etc.
    I haven’t ventured into long distance precision yet but 3” at 300 is all I’m looking for. Anything farther that I may be shooting at something I actually don’t want to hit. You know old man vision issues.

8. StaccatoFan

We aren’t looking to be all that precise at this point. They have steel plates out there to hit. But they do have one that’s pretty small and it’s pretty cool to hit it from that distance.

9. StaccatoFan

Next time we go. I’ll PM you in advance.

10. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Silencer Shop has a free tax stamp on the huxwrx 30 ti. I have the older version of this can. It is a flow through and as noted they are a little louder but still very nice to shoot.

11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I just talked to Silencer Central and they said they will only sell to a trust. I thought they were who I went through in the past but as soon as I mentioned Kiosk dude was like that's not us and not how we do business.

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I said I wanted to do it as an individual due to less wait times and he said the times are about the same.

13. britx303

I am proud to say I was wrong on being a potential 9 monther. 3 days. Got the email approval and ran down to my new, new ffl where I did everything. Luckily had a couple hundred rounds of subsonic already. Unluckily that’s all I had, and with a 10/22 with a new suppressor and a few loaded bx25 mags……….that went quick :D

GixxerJohn011 and StaccatoFan like this.
  14. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

No pistol to throw it on?

15. StaccatoFan

16. britx303

I could order a threaded barrel for our p80 frame/advantage arms 22. That’s the only 22 pistol we’ve got. The AA conversion slide kit works well enough for training and plinking, but not sure how it’ll do suppressed. I wish I had more time today while picking up the sparrow, to look at their pistols. Had planned on seeing if they had maybe a ruger mk IV with a threaded barrel on hand. They’ve got lots of inventory new and used. Coincidentally, My BIL has the same can on his ruger, and it handles it well. When he throws a cookout, it gets passed around and lots of rounds run through it without hiccup. Or maybe a FN 502……..I do like FN. Open to suggestions

17. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Some of this will depend upon what you have that's threaded and what you might want to shoot.

IMHO if you are just starting off with suppressors, I would recommend this order: 22lr can, 30 caliber rifle can, 45 caliber pistol can.

rimfire can- you want something that's easy to clean (stainless and titanium). 22lr is DIRTY. YOu'll be cleaning it often. Aluminum is hard to clean, or you use "the dip" that leaves you with a dangerous chemical that's not easy to dispose of (properly). Dead Air Mask, Rugged Oculus, SilencerCo Switchback, Thunder Beast (TBAC) 22 takedown, Tactical Solutions Axiom are all solid choices. Threaded 22lr pistols are fun to shoot, and a bolt action 22lr rifle with a can will have you giggling. True "hollywood" quiet shooting. All are 1/2x28 threading for the most part.

30 cal rifle can- with the rifle can the big thing is to decide what mounting system you want to use. I use the Dead Air Keymo. It's a solid system that work well but is heavy(ier) than some of the newer systems. Xeno, Rearden, etc. Depending upon how many rifles you want to use the suppressor with, the mounts can cost as much as a can (typically $90/ for a flash hider mount). Many of the newer suppressors have a "HUB" threading on the back of the can so you can swap to the system you want, so you can use a Dead Air KeyMo with a HUB adapter on a SilencerCo suppressor. Very nice in case something happens to the company that you bought a bunch of mounts. 30 caliber is good because you can use it with 308, 6.5CM, 300 blackout, 223/5.56 or anything else smaller than 30 caliber. Muzzle devices are usually 1/2x28 for 5.56, 5/8x24 for 30 caliber, and who knows what else

pistol can- Get a 45 can as you can use it for 9/40/45/38/357, etc. The difference in shooting 9mm through a 45 can and a 9mm can isn't that big a deal, so for a first can just get a 45 unless you only want to use it on a 9mm. Semi Auto pistols will have to use a "booster" or Nielsen device on the front, basically the can is attached to the barrel via a big spring loaded assembly, so the pistol fill function with a heavy weight added to the front of the barrel. You will need different threaded "pistons" to attach to the threaded barrel and the suppressor fits over this. If you attach the pistol can to a rifle with a fixed barrel, you can run a fixed barrel spacer that locks up the system. barrel threading is all over the place. 1/2x28 for 9mm aftermarket barrels, OE glock and HK and others all use different systems.

Start with a Dead Air Mask, maybe a Nomad, and a Ghost and work your way from there. Or pick other brands, there are plenty to choose from. The big deal these days is low back pressure cans that don't blow as much crap back into your face. Mainly nice on AR platform rifles.

18. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I have a Mark III but every time I have to clean it I want to throw it in the river or gift it to my worst enemy. I thought about a Mark IV because it’s easier to take down and reassemble but ended up buying a 502 mainly because…well…it looks cooler than a Ruger and I already had an old one. It’s an absolute riot at the range. I put a Holosun 507c on it and it’s been fantastic. The trigger isn’t bad and it’s not picky on ammo. The only problem I’ve had is a broken extractor that I’m pretty sure was weakened by a round that the best way I can describe is it broke where the rim turns up into the rest of the casing and vented out the side right towards the extractor. The extractor broke probably 100 rounds later.

Other options, TX22C. I’ve started shooting Steel Challenge and I’ve seen somebody every time that loves theirs. They’re ugly as sin but they’re kind of neat, the red dot doesn’t reciprocate with the slide. There are lots of people that automatically shit on them because it’s a Taurus but I’ve talked with enough people lately that I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one. Added bonus, they’re a little cheaper than a 502. I don’t know if you can piece a Sig P322 together with a threaded barrel but they make comped version so I’m sure at some point, if not already, Sig will sell it without the comp and just leave you a threaded barrel.

britx303 likes this.
  19. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

If you have a 3d printer, I created a "thumb buster" loader plate to press down on the button to make it easier to load. Stl file is on Thingiverse or if you are at Road Atlanta or Barber for MotoAmerica I'll print a couple and bring them. Love my 502. I mounted a burris FF3 on it to play with and I've been happy with it so far (had to source good screws to mount it from McMaster).

Not sure they are available any more but there was a guy in the new england area (Majestic firearms or something?) that made a kit to make the Mark I-III take down like the Mk IV pistols.

20. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I picked up something similar on Amazon for the Ruger and 502, thanks though! Somebody posted something on here to a kit for the Mark III but it was out of stock. I kept checking back but it was never in stock so just I figured they went out of business. I stopped checking because the Ruger doesn’t get much time out of the safe anyway now that I have the 502. The only reason I haven’t sold it is because my dad gave it to my son.