1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SUV Fuel Delivery Issue (I Believe) - Help Me Resolve

Discussion in 'General' started by YamahaRick, Feb 26, 2024.

1. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I have a '96 Ford Exploder that just sits in my driveway 96% of the time. I keep the battery charged, and it normally starts up right away. I went to move it, and now it will not start. The fuel tank is full (I try to keep it full to minimize moisture buildup).

Normally, when I turn the key to On position, I hear the fuel pump prime the line. No sound today. The starter turns the motor over with ease but acts if there is no spark. The fuel pump was replaced about 15 years ago when the OEM unit failed. To replace, I have to drop the tank. If the fuel pump is the issue, I'd have to get it to my mechanic to replace - the task is well beyond my capacity.

I've yet to check the fuse. If that is OK, what other troubleshooting steps should I take?

Everything was fine when I last started it a few weeks ago.

TIA.

2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Probably the pump, a fuse or the relay. On my F. O. R. D. rally car of that era the fuel pump relay is in a fancy integrated box and not a $4 standalone relay. I found one for $15 at a local pull a part.

Also for many vehicles of that era...many people remove the rear carpet/mat and just cut a hole in the cargo area to get access to the fuel pump rather than deal with dropping the tank. A quick google search brings up many threads on ford related forums regarding this and usually you can find measurements. YMMV on their accuracy.

fastedyamaha and YamahaRick like this.
  3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I remember reading a post of someone doing that with a pickup that had a bedliner, and I remember thinking I would do it that way too.

YamahaRick likes this.
  4. Zoomie

Zoomie Well-Known Member

Check the inertia switch.
    This is also a good place to apply direct power to fuel pump to isolate if it’s actually a pump failure, or a relay/fuse issue.
    Easily accessible, left side of passenger footwell

There is also a schrader valve on the fuel rail at the intake manifold where you can quickly check to see if you’re getting any fuel pressure

turner38 and YamahaRick like this.
  5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

My experience with in-tank pumps is that they
    either work or they don't, you don't get any
    warning that they're going bad.

6. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Trip and reset the Inertia switch. If that doesn’t do it make sure you are getting power leaving it going to the pump. If so it’s probably the pump itself. Provided it has a check engine light KOEO. Check that first.

YamahaRick and cav115 like this.
  7. This.

8. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

In addition to checking power @ pump, be sure to check ground as well.

YamahaRick likes this.
  9. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

If it's the pump itself, they slowly die, you just don't have a way of knowing unless you've got a fuel pressure gauge that you're monitoring.

10. Zoomie

Zoomie Well-Known Member

If you determine the pump is not running, last resort bang on the tank with a mallet (or 2x4) while someone cycles the ignition key
    I’ve encountered stuck pumps if they’ve been sitting awhile, especially if there’s any moisture in the fuel
    I know, it sounds red neck, but it’s worked

YamahaRick likes this.
  11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Yep. I had a Explorer as a work vehicle and this method got me out of a couple jams in order to get me home. I took my shoe off and smacked it with the heel.

There is no sign they are going. They just quit.

Zoomie and YamahaRick like this.