1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ingenious ways to remove rodents

Discussion in 'General' started by tiggen, Feb 13, 2024.

1. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

All Mghty Beeb,

I come, hat in hand, in need of your experience and advice concerning the removal of rodents from an attic. We've now had two quotes that are over $1k. They include santizing or insulation removal/replacement, finding and closing off points of entry, and gaurantees of rodent free zones...for a continuing fee. I say F@ck. That. Sh!t.

I've had a trap up there, bait is peanuts in peanut butter, for about two weeks with no luck. Perhaps I just need to take my official Red Ryder carbine (with this thing in the stock that tells time) up there and show them the door?

Please divulge your best tips and tricks.

Cordially,
    John

PS Millenials and Gen Z can shove their " life hacks" up their asses. Cordially, of course.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Fire. It’s the only way to be sure.

BigBird and ToofPic like this.
  3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

How bad is the infestation? Mice? Rats? Hippies? Squatter punks?

CBRRRRR999 likes this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

5. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Get a cat

Another one that I found that worked pretty good.....leave cups full of ammonia around where you've seen them. They mistake the smell for the urine of a large predator and it scares them off.

7. 418

418 Expert #59

IIRC couldn't get shit with a trap. Once I switched to a glue pad I was in business, they were too small to activate the trap. Used peanut butter as well.

8. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Well now I DON'T want to teach you the secret flute song to lead them all out of town.

9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

(Depending on their size) get buckets and half fill them with water. For mice, a smaller bucket...for rats, a drywall bucket. The little greedy bastards will drown.

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I have a sure fire way of ridding your property of pest but you have to pay a continuation fee. :cool:

BrentA likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I just heard on a podcast yesterday: strategically placed snakeskin. Of course, it's easier to harvest if you have pet snakes in your home.

12. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Rodents in an attic are the toughest to deal with, in my experience. First obstacle is figuring out what they are. Best of luck to you!

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I’ll have to check with my financial planners, starting a cottage industry in sheds might affect my tax status ;)

14. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just put one of these guys up there.

15. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Bucket with gallon of used engine/suspension oil works great. They love smell and jump right in, no tricky covers needed.

16. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

$1000 with remediation of the source issue and damaged building materials?

I'd just pay the base fee and tell them to stuff their maintenance agreement/guarantee in one of the holes.

17. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

I had great success with "Ramik Bars" against field mice. They eat that crap, get disoriented, poisoned, and thirsty. End up leaving the dwelling to find water and ultimately die.

Not sure what exactly you have.

18. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Sorry, they are squirrels. There might be mice/rats, but the squirrels are what's keep us up at night.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  19. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Are the issues outside the house resolved ? Chimneys, eaves, vents, loose siding, etc. ?

For starters, get an air force air gun. They're great for shooting squirrels in the city limits or in the woods. Phenominal squirrel killer. Kill ever last one you can outside first.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  20. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Likely flying squirrels, if you're hearing them at night. Tiny buggers can get in through the smallest of cracks. Hard to catch, for sure! Unfortunately, they make their entrance pathway larger over time, and bigger rodents follow in their footsteps.