Yamaha R9.

Discussion in 'General' started by SirCrashAlot, Mar 21, 2023.

1. 418

418 Expert #59

Do tell...

They look great.

2. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Yeah, a built R6 is the current reference to match other bikes to, but when it’s no longer homologated, they’ll have to have a different baseline I guess. And I’m sure the builders will have the R9 right in line with the other NGSS bikes.

Gino230 likes this.
  3. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

I think so as well. I have not taken delivery yet, but everything I have read and heard makes me think it will be a fun street bike for my return to street riding after a 20 year hiatus.

418 likes this.
  4. rpm894

rpm894 Well-Known Member

5. grapemustard

grapemustard Well-Known Member

you know what one of the biggest pain in the asses to converting a modern ducati to a race bike is? dealing with the damn underbelly exhaust. it's fine for a street bike, but makes fitting a belly pan next to impossible at best, or very expensive with a high mount under tail at the least.

hopefully if they make a production R9 it won't have the cat and muffler as one sitting under the oil pan like that render.

BrentA likes this.
  6. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

The king is dead, long live the king!

969 likes this.
  7. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Good point.
    Really, one of the cosmetic features of the gen1 FZ09 that pulled me in was the underslung exhaust. Just my kinda look.
    The gen3 bikes and the Euro5 exhaust points straight down below the center of the bike, so a belly pan there would be problematic.
    This will be interesting to see how they do it on the R9.

8. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Why would this matter to anyone building a proper racebike? The stock exhaust is the first thing that goes in the trash..

Steeltoe likes this.
  10. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you will see a MT09 with fairings. Just like what happened with the R7. Bike market is not like it used to be just the world we now live in.

418, Wheel Bearing and Razr like this.
  11. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My '14 FZ09 has a cast Aluminum frame...I wonder if they'll use the same setup on the R9?

12. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Catalytic converters are most efficient when closest to the combustion chamber, so I have no doubt for packaging and EPA purposes, the catbox and muffler will be under the engine.

BrentA likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Figures

15. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

There is a XSR 900GP though. But I don't think it's coming this side of the pond.

FB_IMG_1707266267393.jpg

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  16. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Reminds me of my FZR 600

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  17. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I love my Tracer GT motor. I'd consider buying one of these, if I don't like my new ZX-4RR 40th Anniversary, though I don't need that much power in a sport bike these days.

18. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

I've just decided to sell my mt09. Anyone know what a good asking price would be? I'm sure I could get more than tree-fiddy for it but would like a reasonable asking price. 2018 red/white, full akrapovic system with carbon can, quickshifter, some kinda ftecu thing that automatically sorts the mapping and less than 2600 miles. Any suggestions?

Has a nick on the fuel tank and a small scratch on the front fender.... lots of tread left on the tires.

scottn and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  19. MrGooch

MrGooch Well-Known Member

So I was looking at the MotoAmerica and FIM rulebooks, seems like the R6 could last until the end of 2026...

20. MrGooch

MrGooch Well-Known Member

Also, now that I think about it, they could just homologate the JDM version of the 2024 R6, no?