1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why aren’t there Americans left in Motogp

Discussion in 'General' started by 392, Jan 17, 2024.

1. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Then you get sanctioned by the govt as the USA Road Racing team. Now getting to GP is like sending athletes to the Olympics and becomes a national goal. You get fancy Team USA kit and everyone in the nation gets behind you, saving the sport as a whole.

Chazzz likes this.
  2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Doesn't some Euro countries have motor racing in their school curriculum? Those kids grow up with it, our kids grow up with stick and ball sports in school. We are behind in all forms of world racing.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

that was initial buy in with junior and the parents paying for the rides.
    I’m probably low by 50% thinking about it. Trucks, mechanics, logistics, feeding the crew, spec fuel, feeding Mongo when we hit WERA events, airfair. . .

what I’m saying is want Americans in motogp? It’s done to three things:
    1) a shit ton of cash.
    2) talented kids with cash.
    3) time.

5axis and bpro like this.
  4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

No argument there.

But with the sponsorship money dried up and certain industries prohibited from playing anymore, those kinds of budgets may as well be a brazillion dorras.

5. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Crazy that Only Fans can sponsor but tobacco/alcohol can't

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

And yet it's proven again

7. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

All these posts and not a single one blaming Mongo. All y'all are getting soft. Oh wait Egg came thru. 2 pages though....slacker goat mf'ers

8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Honestly you're making it way too complicated

9. noles19

Not picking on Rocco but if anyone wants this to be their career you better learn to be good at social media at a bare minimum or pay someone to be good at it

10. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Seems like you have basically described Joe Roberts if he was a little bit more successful in Moto2.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Roberts I wouldn’t describe in most of those words.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Learn what? How to have so many fans of even club racing that sponsors and money flock to them? How to have so many riders interested in racing? What exactly should these powers be doing different in a country that is absolutely nothing like Europe when it comes to roadracing or motorcycles?

backcountryme likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I can't take all the credit but I do my best :D

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Self promotion is huge in all professional sports. Talent isn't enough.

Waterboy and 5axis like this.
  15. noles19

Exactly and it never has been.

16. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Money. It takes money to buy a ride now. Even proven winners are having to bring money with them. And the cost only goes up the farther up the ladder you go. It isn't unique to motorcycle racing either. Even in dirt car racing you have to bring money now.

Eeyore and 5axis like this.
  17. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Was watching the Dakar 2024 highlights this weekend and thought I heard it cost like $65,000 "rental" for bike and mechanic, entry fees, etc. Rider they were interviewing was hoping to finish well enough to get one of the "zero pay" rides for 2025.

18. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Another point of view to explore:
    You're a young racer doing well in MotoA, making a little money and winning races. You're comfortable, near home, etc.

Do you want to go to Europe where you're out of your element, don't know anyone, people are intentionally difficult to work with for you, you have to provide all funding and most sponsors, you can't get changes made to the motorcycle you want, you have to find new homes(s), can only go to your actual home a couple times a year, etc?

Gino230 likes this.
  19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yes....to have the title World Champion.

Namarow and sheepofblue like this.
  20. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I'm not sure this is a factual statement. Most professional leagues could give two shits about a player's social media (unless it's Jah Morant :D).

It's only in the secondary sports where having a social media fanbase becomes a real differentiator towards getting paid or not.