1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harbor Freight drops a new genny

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Jul 19, 2023.

1. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Just bought one with a 25% off coupon. I believe I bought the 3500 when it first came out on special for $650 or so. Given the scandemic and inflation, $100 more, 7 years later, for a 5000 watt genny...not shabby. Plan to break it in at Summit in a few weeks and bring with me for the PittRace endurance round.

DBConz likes this.
  2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

You coming to gratten this year?

3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

So looking at the newest WEN 56477i (4800 W), is only $512 + tax, free shipping.
    It's not dual fuel or electric start but for that price, dayum....Like I said, i've had 3 WEN gennies and no issues over the years. Just looking at something bigger.

https://wenproducts.com/products/we...eady-quiet-and-lightweight-with-fuel-shut-off

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, interestingly HF has removed all evidence of this unit from the website?

5. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Hard to beat a propane/NG setup for emergency home power. Both of those only have two shortcomings.

1. NG relies on someone pumping it out to you.
    2. Propane relies on you having a tank and having enough to get you through an event.

Gas or Diesel would be my last choice for a whole house setup. If you are going diesel that's likely best if it's PTO drive off a tractor that regularly consumes its diesel, so it is always fairly fresh.

6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The manufacturer Senci doesn't have it either. Interesting

7. Hyperdyne

From Redditt:

Just got off the phone with customer service regarding this (Predator 5000w dual fuel) generator.

According to them, prolonged use of 70 hours or more on propane causes the key fob and electric start to stop working. He stated there was not a safety concern, just a functional issue. He also said that the generator can still be used with the pull start.

Also stated that they can be returned with a rain check to get another when they re-release them around December. Affected serial numbers range from 230615-230628. That’s not the whole serial but if you’re falls within the last two digits of those numbers, it can be returned and when they come back out, the price originally purchased at will be honored. In my case, I used a 25% off no exclusions coupon to purchase.

jasonhise and mpusch like this.
  8. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Since my original battery crapped out (~2 yrs) Ive been pull starting my 3500. Its so easy to pull start never bothered to get a new battery.

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Now how in the hell does running on propane instead of gas impact the electric start and key fob?!

10. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Likely has something to do with the electronics on the generator itself, not the fob. Overheating, overloaded, something...

11. Mechdziner714

Freezing up ?

12. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

It's not the fob that stops. It's the electric start. The fob operates that, so it's like the fob stops working.

I could see the starter still spinning, but the generator not starting. Maybe the loss of power from running propane, causes the generator to not charge the battery, it cuts that circuit? Then the starter doesn't work.

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

If you flip back to gas for a tank or so, will it work properly again?

14. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

Many of these are having overload issues. including the one i bought and thats why they pulled them all from the shelves and website.

quickly remember why i always paid a little more for honda or yamaha....

15. Mechdziner714

A little more? LOL, if it was a little more nobody would buy these.

16. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Was about to say the same thing. When I was shopping a few years ago a predator 3500 was like $800 and an Honda Inverter 3,000W was $2k+

17. Hyperdyne

18. Hyperdyne

In theory you should be able to. I think the propane option is probably a real benefit for the preppers more so than folks here that will just use regular gas.

19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Pump gas? Ethanol free? Has to be 93 octane, right?

20. Hyperdyne

MR12 :D

brex likes this.