Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Does racing 1 count?[​IMG]

My buddy was in a District 6 series and could not ride. So I volunteered to take his transponder & took 7th out of 20.
    Climbed eastern PA shale hills like a goat, did single track ok, I rolled all the jumps on the mx course, and completed 5 laps. Definitely needs a fan or bigger rads.
    My buddy keeps it around because its street legal & plated. We also do the Hammer Run every November.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

That's what I want to hear! Well, I bought it. Sadly the guy I bought it from is an airline pilot and won't be back in country until the 9th, but he said it's mine. I was wanting to take it to grandmas in WV this weekend. Oh well, we'll have the RMX so we can give it a good thrashing. In the meantime I can learn all the tricks to make the WR a first class machine.

MELK-MAN and TurboBlew like this.
  3. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137

I wide with a Sendit Sunday group in North Alabama. We meet up at a different MX track every Sunday. Also, we have three of us that have private tracks.

Sabre699 and TurboBlew like this.
  4. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137

I ride with...

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

A buddy and I took my kids out for some trail riding last weekend while the conditions were prime. I need to get better at taking more pictures and doing some filming of them riding while I can still keep up. preride.jpg
    stop.jpg

Rdrace42, skidooboy, MELK-MAN and 2 others like this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

[​IMG]

Truckee, CA

Rdrace42, Peter Hively and skidooboy like this.
  7. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

LBL200 AMA Dual Sport ride in KY/TN. Great ride that fills up quickly at Land Between the Lakes area (north of Nashville). 140miles or so on Saturday, a lot of hiking and MTB single track trails that are only open one day a year for this ride. Took my KTM 950 this year, had a blast!

LBL200Trail2023sm.jpg

Rdrace42, ducnut, skidooboy and 2 others like this.
  8. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Yeah MTB trails and a 950, wtf that can't be easy?

9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I'm window shopping 250F MX bikes. Any anecdotes on bikes to stay away from, or is just a pick your favorite color kinda deal?

Prioritizing reliability and forgiveness over outright performance.

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

just make sure it's E-start (just my opinion but it's SOOOO nice vs kicking).
    they are all pretty darn good n reliable if a late model. might pay a bit more for an austrian make (ktm/husky/gas gas), but they sure seem worth it in my experience. have 3 ktm 250xcf's now. one has almost 400 hrs, two i sold with over 600 hrs. never adjusted valaves. ever.

skidooboy, Sabre699 and Senna like this.
  11. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Holy shit. Good to know. Thanks!

12. That’s so awesome, need to keep the young generation interested as interest is fading fast. Thankfully my 11 year old between football, travel baseball and wrestling still wants to ride any chance he gets. Thankfully we can ride right behind the house. Obviously not as good as hitting up good trails but better than not riding. Over 3.5 acres of woods we have a nice “trail” cut out with specific loops.

Senna likes this.
  13. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I sold my ‘13 WR450f with 24 miles 3 yrs ago for $3500. And i dont even do crack. Lol

14. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

just to expand on my earlier post, i did pistons every 100-110 hrs or so (had 3 pistons crack across top, no cyl damage, when i went over 120 hrs) , and on the 2 bikes with over 600 hrs i did cranks at 300 hrs preventative. the 2019 with almost 400 hrs i haven't done new crank on yet. but as i stated, i have NEVER had to adjust valves on these bikes. the Del West valves ktm uses (and i suspect gasgas and husky) are amazing. expensive... but very good.

Senna likes this.
  15. F a non e start bike. My ole faithful hybrid of mix match years “street legal -ish” exc 300 - ish is kick only and it can suck after a tip over in the rocks

MELK-MAN likes this.
  16. rd400racer

I didn't end didn't end up buying it. The guy wasn't available for weeks and I figured I use the money to fix up my YZ250. Saved a little more and bought a KTM1190 :D

17. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

I've probably mentioned it before, but I have an oversized tank skid plate and possibly a few other off road related parts for your YZ. You are welcome to the stuff since I no longer have plans to put that bike back together. Do you ever get up near Cincinnati?

18. rd400racer

Yes I do. I appreciate it and I'll be in touch next time I head that way. Thanks

19. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

No problem at all. It's funny how little things bring up memories, but I believe I once saw you in my home town, Cold Spring KY. Just remember seeing someone on a Ducati Monster with custom paint sitting at a light one day.

Odd the little things that you notice and remember. No clue when it was, but as a bike guy it caught my eye.

I'll probably be unavailable for a week or so due to complications with my recent surgery but otherwise I don't get out much. I'll send you my number and address.

20. Nothing more to add besides I decided to take a quick spin mid morning and karma from pissing off the neighbors kicked in. Thankfully was wearing all my gear as my back took a good lick off a tree. Knocked the wind out of me pretty good. More important bikes ok :) grabbed a drink, had 2 smokes and went about riding for another 45 min or so. Been raining for 2 days so I shouldn’t have been so cocky with a hard pack rear on soft muddy terrain. 100% stupidity as I have a fresh sand / mud tire mounted on a rim already.

TurboBlew and MELK-MAN like this.